Problem with WinXP installation

mBird Fr.

Here's another problem I have:

I added WinXP Pro SP1 to my multi-boot dvd as the guide instructs. When I test it in VMWare, the setup screen comes up as it should, it checks the hardware, works for a short while and then reports this error:

ERROR.JPG

The requested file is compressed as 'cmdide.sy_' and exists both in my '\PRO1\' and in '\SETUP\XP\Professional\I386' folder. I've definetly modified both setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif. What am I missing? If anyone's got any idea what went wrong, please share.

Thanks.

txtsetup.sif in PRO1 is identical to txtsetup.sif in I386, except for the 'SetupSourcePath' line. Here are all references to cmdide.sys in it:

[SourceDisksFiles]
cmdide.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_0648 = "cmdide"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_0649 = "cmdide"

[BusExtenders.Load]
cmdide   = cmdide.sys

[files.cmdide]
cmdide.sys,4
pciidex.sys,4

[BusExtenders]
cmdide   = "CMD IDE Bus Driver",files.cmdide,cmdide

And dosnet.inf in I386 contains these references to cmdide.sys:

[FloppyFiles.1]
d1,cmdide.sys

[Files]
d1,cmdide.sys

Also, how do I know that my 'SetupSourcePath' is correct? What error would I get if PRO1 setup couldn't reach my I386 setup files?

I tried using the WinXP floppies for my PRO1 folder and it works! No more of that nasty error.

But there are still problems: now I have a compressed txtsetup.sif (it's compressed on the floppies, to save some space I guess) and so I can't fix SetupSourcePath. I went on and expanded the file, modified it, compressed it again using mscompress.exe and replaced the original file with this one. But when I boot up, setup reports a 'txtsetup.inf missing' and quits. This also happens if I leave the modified file uncompressed and delete the compressed one. Any ideas on how to fix this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: done! After trying various things without much success, I copied txtsetup.sif from \i386 folder to \PRO1, modified it and now it works! :) The nightmare is finally over. :rolleyes::):D Thanks for all tips and help.

Also, flyakite, if you ever do any updates to your guide, you might want to include some alternative ways of doing things (like getting PRO1 folder from floppies) as the standard way doesn't allways seem to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem as mBird. I am trying to install Promise Fasttrack 378 as I can avoid inserting a floppy at the boot up, However I get a message like " missing file fasttx2k.sys". altough I have compressed the driver and it is in the i386 and the PRO1. I have cofigured dosnet.inf, txtsetup.inf and winnt.sif as it is been directed, there is no problem with that.

I am very sure because I succesfully installed unattended WinXP using a CD but when I intgrate that installation in to AIO-DVD I get the error message. So something must be wrong with the PRO1, I am :) please help me.