Install hangs at 12 minutes

I recently have had great success experimenting with an unattended install disc, after many previous failed attempts. I'm using nlite reduced source on XP Corp, slipstreamed SP2 RC2. I had several versions come out fine, started with ATI drivers, and adding a program or 2 in each version, and it all worked fine.

Then, it happened.

I added the unattended versins of Firefox and Thunderbird, added TmpgEnc and Virtualdub uncompressed in my $Progs folder since they don't install, and added shortcuts in my $Docs/All Users/Start Menu/ folder for my key apps so I can clear the desktop in my cleanup script. Those were the only changes made to the last working setup.

When I boot this version, it works fine up to 12 minutes, about 2/3 through the Registering Components step. It hangs. Forever.

Would copying my $OEM$ folder to save my work and recopying the base XP cd and rerunning nlite help? What did I do to screw this up?

any hotfixes?

perhaps you have a cmdow in your batch that imports the RunOnceEX settings, and it's asking for input, and you can't since it's hidden.

remove the line, and try again.....you may find your answer.

I deleted your other thread. No need for both.

any hotfixes?

perhaps you have a cmdow in your batch that imports the RunOnceEX settings, and it's asking for input, and you can't since it's hidden.

remove the line, and try again.....you may find your answer.

Ok, I'll try that when I get home, but my cmdow /HID is the first line in my RunOnceEx.cmd, and it started as a cut and paste from the one in the ROE guide.

There are no hotfixes, as I am working with a slipstreamed SP2 RC2 disc.

The kicker here is that this disc has gone through several versions as I worked out drivers, applications and such. The last install worked flawlessly. Then I added a few programs and shortcuts to be copied to program files and all users start menu. I never changed anything that I hadn't tinkered with before.

Would something in RunOnceEx.cmd, which runs after first logon (right?), affect the actual install process, which is before first logon? And why would this process hang now, after several runs without the problem, the only changes being made in the $OEM$ folders?

I guess I just need a n00b theory seminar. Thanks!

dunno why it would hang if you didn't change anythign in RunOnceEX.cmd....

but what alot of people misunderstand.....

The CMD file runs at T-12 (where you are freezing), but the actual RunOnceEX window that executes and installs everything runs upon restart. If there is a single syntax error, it might prompt you with something, and you have to press a key, but you can't as you have the window hidden.

I still suspect you may have changed SOMETHING in the file, or any file you run from CMDLINES.TXT and that's causing the problem. You may not remember changing something, but just like....wrong switch here, type of thing.....or something.

OOOOOOOkkkkk...... THAT makes some more sense. I tried to follow the install timeline to see where I might have jacked it, but I guess I missed that gem of info. I DID change ROE.cmd to add more applications, so that's probably where the hangup is. I'll comb for errors, and unhide the window if I can't spot it myself. Thanks again!

you may consider just running the batch file, in your current setup.

As long as the files aren't in the correct place (where they would be in a normal install) you'll just get File Not Found errors if any, when RunOnceEX actually runs, or you could just delete the keys in the before you even restart.

Ok, I ran the ROE.cmd and lust like you said, something is asking for input, but fot the life of me, I have no clue why. The problem occurs here:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Installing Winamp 5.03" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Winamp\winamp503_full /S"/f
REG ADD %KEY%\026 /V 1 /D "pskill winamp.exe"/f

I get this prompt:

Value 1 exists, overwrite? y/n

now, right after this, Yahoo MEssenger 6 is set up exactly the same way, with pskill, and it worked fine before. It was there last time, I just added Winamp in later. After I answer y or n, it completes fine.

What should I change?

Your last entry should look like this:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 2 /D "pskill winamp.exe"/f

Your original entry was trying to overwrite the first value: Value 1

All three should be in the same key: 025

Your last entry should look like this:

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 2 /D "pskill winamp.exe"/f

Your original entry was trying to overwrite the first value: Value 1

All three should be in the same key: 025

Ok, the source of my woes was not the 025, 026 keys, though let me explain that. I just wanted to ensure that pskill ran immediately after the install finished and the program was launched. Is that necessary?

the actual typo was in the "/v 1" section. I wasn't incrementing the value switch. Duh.

But the 025, 026 progression does exactly what I want it to do though, but is it kludgy?

If it works, I will not gainsay you. :)

The only thing I was confused about is the fact that this REG ADD %KEY%\026 /V 1 /D "pskill winamp.exe" /f was attempting to overwrite another entry. It couldn't have been trying to overwrite any value in the 025 registry key. I can only assume that you have another entry somewhere in your RunOnceEx that writes a value to \026 V 1. There must be an entry that creates a value in the \026 key before your winamp entries.

@jrzycrim I think I just had random misnumberings. I'm not cut out for actual programming, as even batch files cause me fits. But then, learning from websites never works for me, except here. Maybe a "programming n00b" thread in another forum with suggestions from seasoned veterans? So far, this is the most capable memberbase I've seen without having to wade through 1000 12 year old kids.

well, what language are we talking about?

C++/C#/VB/VB#/Java/Perl/PHP/SQL/HTML/CSS/JAVASCRIPT/Pascal

lol.

Batch files aren't real programming. It's more BASIC then anything.....

but if it helps, consider using a calender type thing, every time you add something, mark off the number. lol.