How to set table height=100% via javascript?

Ok, Im trying to make a table adjust dynamicly to 100% height and 100% width of a window via a javascript. I've narrowed it down to the below function, which should be compatible with most browsers. However, I know that with IE the document.documentElement.clientWidth can only be called after the <Head> tag has been rendered, hense the below will not work...

My question is; How do I calculate the height of the table row on page load and after that when the browser window is resized?

<script language="javascript"> 

function TableHeight() {
 if( typeof( window.innerWidth ) == 'number' ) {
   //Non-IE
   myWidth = window.innerWidth;
   myHeight = window.innerHeight;
 } else if( document.documentElement &&
     ( document.documentElement.clientWidth || document.documentElement.clientHeight ) ) {
   //IE 6+ in 'standards compliant mode'
   myWidth = document.documentElement.clientWidth;
   myHeight = document.documentElement.clientHeight;
 } else if( document.body && ( document.body.clientWidth || document.body.clientHeight ) ) {
   //IE 4 compatible
   myWidth = document.body.clientWidth;
   myHeight = document.body.clientHeight;
 }
 hiY = document.write(myHeight - 140);

}

</script>

It must be used in the following way:

<table width="100%"  border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> 
 <tr>
   <td height="90" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">1</td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td height="25" bgcolor="#999999">2</td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <script language="javascript">document.write( "<td height=\"" + hiY + "\">" );</script>3</td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td height="25" bgcolor="#333333">4</td>
 </tr>
</table>

If i understand you correctly, you want a table with 4 rows and the 3rd one must automatically resize? If so, this can be easily done in CSS!

<html>
<style>
table {border:1px solid black;width:100%;height:100%;}
thead td {height:90px;background:#CCCCCC}
tfoot td {background:#333333;height:25px;}
#2ndrow {height:25px;background:#999999;}
</style>
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<thead><tr><td>SOME TEXT HERE(header) 1st row..</td></tr>
<tr><td id="2ndrow">SOME TEXT HERE(header) 2nd row..</td></tr></thead>
<tfoot><tr><td>SOME TEXT HERE(footer)</td></tr></thead>
<tbody><tr><td>variable width cell</td></tr></tbody>
</table>
</html>

I used border on table, to show that it resizes with the window, it can be removed of course. I tested it on ie6 and firefox, works nice.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with tables. They function perfectly well and load perfectly fine. A moderately experienced coder in html alone could make a good design using tables. Yes, you have more power with using the <div> tags and css but it's not easier. I'll never understand where anyone gets the term "easier" to do than using tables.

We had a thread about all this over at pps.net already discussing why one is better of the other and why tables aren't bad. http://www.purephotoshop.net/showthread.php?t=2337

As far as I can see, you were the only one who were pro-tables there. :) The only other hint of being pro-tables were the guy who were talking about the old 14.4 modem days, and that was basically cause there was no other way then.

By all means, use tables if you want to, but you'll have a much larger user base if you follow the directions of the Web Accessibility Initiative. (or Section 508)