Radeon install issue PLEASE HELP

Thumpanewbie

I recently upgraded from a radeon 9600 se to a Radeon 9800pro and I am trying to sell my 9600. I sent the card home with a guy for the weekend and he was going to install it and then buy the **** thing but now there is an issue.

Everytime he installs the drivers and reboots it comes up with the screen all blurry and looking melted or something. I asked him if he set the bios to 128 aperature size and also to boot from AGP first and all that crap. Also he says he enabled the 8X mode in bios. Now I had this issue with my system the first time I tried to install this card oin my system but I cant remember for th elife of me, how the hell i fixed this issue. I believe it had something to do with the 8X not truely being compatible with the card or something. Is this a possibility?

Any Ideas would be very much appreciated. He tried every driver version and even the drivers off the disk that came with the card dont work right.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a 9600SE (I now have a wonderful x800pro...you should get one) and I had similar problems with the drivers. I think it had something to do with the drivers unloading themselves when windows started. If the mobo is a via chipset and it was running a non-ati graphics card previously, and the via patch wasn't applied, then you'll have problems with it until you reinstall windows...

As far as 8x, I never had any problems with that, but it's generally recommended (as far as I've heard) to use an AGP aperature size of twice the vram that your gfx card has, so if the mobo supports it, go with 256mb (the 9600se has 128mb of ddr, right?).

Good luck and happy gaming with the 9800 :)