Failed to transfer the schema FSMO role ?

konlin

Hello,

We are trying to prepare our win2k domain to accept a 2k3 server. By doing this we have to run the ADprep utility, to prepare the forest, domain etc. When we run the utility, i get an error message right away saying "Failed to transfer the schema FSMO role : 52 <unavailable>" From here i am stuck, and have no solutions. I am logged on with correct permissions, and only have one other DC in the domain. Does anyone have some help for me?

thank you.

-konlin

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;305476

When you run the adprep /forestprep command to prepare your Windows 2000 forest and its domains for the addition of Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, the adprep /forestprep command fails and the Adprep.log contains the following message:

ERROR: Failed to transfer the schema FSMO role: 52 (Unavailable). If the error code is "Insufficient Rights", make sure you are logged in as a member of the schema admin group. Adprep was unable to upgrade the schema on the schema master.

This error can also be caused by an invalid DNS record in DNS for a server that is no longer a DNS server. When you try to change a schema property, you may receive the following error message:

The FSMO role ownership could not be verified because its directory partition has not replicated successfully with at least one replication partner.

Are you the member of Schema Admins group?

Is your DNS zone OK?

• 5 months later...