Looking for image resizer

newdles

I have a ton of images that I need to resize for the web. I can use Photoshop to create droplets but that will only work for so many images.

The reason why I need a standalone image resizer is because I need one that will resize the images proportionally. Every image that I need to resize is targetted to be resized to 640x480. However, some images aren't those proportions. What I mean is that you can't just resize a 1000x400 image to 640x480 becase it will distort the image terribly.

Basically, I need a program that will resize the image(s) to 640x480 and if they can't be resized proportionally to that size then I need them to be equal to or less than 640 pixels wide and equal to or less than 480 pixels all at the same time.

Hope all this makes sense. A program that could do this can save me countless hours of doing each image by hand :)

Irfanview also has excellent batch capabilites. It's also free.

http://www.irfanview.com/

I just tested a bunch of images that were 1024 x 768. I resized two of them to 1024 x 1024 to make sure it would work like you want. After completion, all of the images were resized to 640 x 480 except the two 1024 x 1024. They were resized to 480 x 480.

Yah. Irfanview doesn't have batch image processing for resizing images. It's only batch image processing abilities include file converting and renaming.

Thanks though.

I would use the powertoy that is available MS website but it only works partially. At worst case scenario it will work better than nothing though. I was just hoping for a program better than that as it degrades the image quality quite a bit when you resize them.

To be more precise, Under batch conversion settings, check 'use advanced options', click 'Set Advanced Options'. From there you will see the options for resizing. Make sure 'preserve aspect ratio' is checked as well as 'use resample function'.

Wow. I overlooked that completely. I installed the program early today because someone suggested it "might" work yet they had no idea since they had never used it themselves. So I didn't take too much time looking around in it once I found file > batch conversion rename.

Thanks for the hint. I'd have never even found that option.

No problem. :)

I'm pretty sure it will do what you need. Honestly, I wasn't sure if it would until I actually tested it out.

Irfanview is an excellent program. I use it as my default viewer. With all the plugins installed, it will play virtually any audio or video file. It makes a great 'quick and dirty' media player.

Oh I'm definitely going to keep it around. That feature alone is worth keeping it installed. My main image processor and editor without a doubt is Photoshop. I can create a custom droplet in ImageReady CS and set it up to contrain proportions but it is a pain in the butt. Everytime I created the droplet it returned an error so I'm thinking I either did it wrong or the feature is buggy (it's a new feature).

Anyway though, thanks for the assistance. :)