2000 Server 8.3 filename problem

dantanna

Hi,

I'm pretty new to XPCREATE and I'm really impressed with the software, it's awesome. I've created various slipstreamed OS install images for deployment successfully.

The 2000 server update process unfortunately creates a few files that are not 8.3 format, for example:

i386\authroots.ss_

i386\q831167_d.in_

i386\q832894_d.in_

Whereas other long files have 8.3 formats, for example:

i386\beeho~2.rm_

I tried copying the finished 'i386' directory to my hard disk with 'xcopy /n' to force 8.3 filename creation but this in turn breaks the install later on. The installer fails to copy ipsec.sys, kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll, win32k.sys and winsrv.sys

I get the cd images to clients using a DOS (actually win98) boot disk, this process fails because of these files...

Any ideas or help appreciated...

Yes, Microsoft has released a few patches lately that cannot be both slipstreamed and run in DOS installs. 8.3 names will not work without some 8.3:Long file name conversion table, which is not covered by the Microsoft slipstreaming process. Your only recourse is to NOT slipstream the offending hotfixes.

Still ... Wecome to MSFN, friend from down-under!

Upon further review ... those are all Type II Hotfixes, which are not defined as "Slipstreamable" by Microsoft. You should be able to put them in SVC-POS and be OK. Give it a go, then give us a holler with your findings!

Thanks for the advice.

I rebuilt with the three patches in SVC-POS...

Q832894 worked ok

windows update reports 3 hotfixes as not being installed:

Q831167 (from SVC-POS)

js56nen (from SVC-HF2)

KB839643 ( wasn't downloaded, i'll try in SVC-HF1 )

Is there a trick with Q831167 and js56nen ?

831167 requires QCHAIN (as I recall ...).

The vbs56nen (something like that ..) update messes with the js56nen update, and is not needed. If you have the vbs update, remove it. If not, check the installed file versions, and see if they are OK.