Changing the priorty?

kmf

I know I can go into the Task Manager and manually change the priority setting of an individual process.

Is there a way I can make it so that the program/process will automatically start with the priority I want so I don't have to manually change it every time?

i'm not sure i understand what you are asking. which individual process? the processes in task manager should not have to be manually started, they should automatically start up when called upon. if you are referring to services (which i think you might be) then you can go to control panel/administrative tools/ services. In there you can set the start up type of whichever service you want to automatic, manual or disabled. again, i'm not sure if this is what you were looking for but hope it helps!

When I go into the "Windows Task Manager" by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL there is "Processes" tab. In there it lists all the applications that are running. When I right click on an individual process a pop up menu appears and one of the options is set priority. Using the set priority menu I can raise or lower the priority of a single application.

What I am trying to find out is if there is something (like a registry mod for example) I can do that will make the program start with the priority I want without having to go into the WTM and manually change it every time I start the program.

Windows XP "Start" command help:

Starts a separate window to run a specified program or command.

START ["title"] [/Dpath] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/sEPARATE | /SHARED]

[/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]

[/WAIT] [command/program]

[parameters]

Do "Start /?" to see the rest.

Windows XP "Start" command help:

Starts a separate window to run a specified program or command.

START ["title"] [/Dpath] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/sEPARATE | /SHARED]

[/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]

[/WAIT] [command/program]

[parameters]

Do "Start /?" to see the rest.

Pardon my asking, but would it be possible to integrate this principle into a shortcut icon? In other words, can I make it so clicking an icon makes it automatically start in a certain priority? Thanks.

Actually, I was having trouble using the start command from within a shortcut. To be precise, I couldn't make it work. I tried using cmd.exe /c start... and just start "program name".

Unless someone knows how to do this, a workaround is to make a batch file from which to call the program. If you want a custom icon for the batch, just make a shortcut to that.

OK thanks for the help.

Now how and where do I use Tim's help?

As I mentioned above, you can make a batch file to call your program with a specific priority. Just make a text file, program.cmd. In the file, place a command such as this:

start /ABOVENORMAL "program path\Program name"
exit

Replace /ABOVENORMAL with the specific priority you want. Entering start /? from the command prompt will list all available parameters.

If you want a custom icon for your file, just create a shortcut to the cmd file and choose an icon from the shortcut properties.

Ah, tim beat me to it :)

I made it work without a batch file... here's my line:

%windir%\System32\cmd.exe /c start /abovenormal calc.exe

If you use a program outside the %path% environment, you need to specify full path of course.. and most likely you'll need to change the "Start in" path (Of the shortcut). But else, it works.

Great! I tried different combinations and just couldn't get it to work. I think it was the because of the long program path with spaces. Probably didn't have everything quoted right.

Nice going. That will be a lot better than fooling around with batch files.

That would work for an application that you directly click on to open up, but what about something that you do not directly click on?

For example, when I click on a video stored on my hard drive it opens with WMP9. I would like to up the priorty of WMP9.

Is there a way to do this?

You can either use the program mentioned earlier in this thread or you can make a shotcut which launches media player at a specified priority. You can then drag and drop a file onto the WMP shortcut. It's not a perfect solution.

Someone else may have better alternatives.