drivses assignment screwed up

cassy309

hi everyone i am in a bit of a jam i have two hard drives (multiboot) in my pc when i first installed my new drive which at the time was seen from the c: drive as an f: drive the problem is now that the drive letters are changed on both sides i am on my c: drive right now and when i open up my computer the drive letters are as follows,

local disk c:

local disk d:

3 1/2 floppy a:

cd-rw drive e:

dvd drive f:

and when i upload pictures from my digital camera that turns into drive :g

and when i boot into the the slave drive the c is my master drive it looks like this

local disk c:

local disk f:

31/2 floppy :a

cd-rw drive: d

dvd drive :e

i haven't uploaded any pictures on this drive i just store them on it but i am guessing it would be drive :g as well

before all of this no matter what drive i was on the drive assignmet would stay the same (the 2nd drive assignment i have listed)

is there a way for me to get it back the way that it was all i did before this happened was re-install windows xp home and i had to add my other drive to the boot loader but now that drive is gone it died and i have a new one i formatted it and installed xp home and the drive letters were still screwed up.

Go to the Control Canel > Administrative Tools. Run the Computer Management app. Under Storage, you will see Disk Management. Right click on any drive and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'. You can reassign your drives any letter you like (except your boot drive, that can't be changed).

:)

Note - You must have the Logical Disk Manager services running to do this.

thanks i have done that but now when i boot up my slave drive which is my (f:) drive it doesn't show my taskbar and a norton error comes up i am going to try to do a reinstall without loosing files and settings maybe t his will fix what's goingon now but just in case it doesn't i am moving all of my files to the (c:) drive i may have to do a raw installation :) i'll let ya know thanks again for the help

If you have any programs tied to your drive letters, they are going to cry if you change them. You'll have to either reinstall the programs or find a way to change them within the programs themselves. Some people install all their software on to a slave drive (which I really don't recommend). If you've done that, then changing the slave drive letter will totally hose any shortcuts you have to those programs and possibly prevent them from running correctly.

Sorry if you didn't know this, I just assumed you did. :)

thanks i had no idea i have windows installed on both drives and i do have software on both drives the smaller drive c: i use it for business and the bigger one drive f: i use for myslef. i really was trying to aviod reinstalling evrything even though i do have everything backed up that i need.and i haven't tried to open up any programs that i haveon my f: drive i should of thought about that one. so should i just reinstall everything won't the drive assighnments go back to the way they were if i reinstall? :)

oops forgot to say that i did change the drive assignments before i installed windows on the c: drive but after that on my f: drive hung on start up ( norton would not start up completely but the other programs like my instant messingers would and i had no taskbar so i reinstalled windows on top of itself so i would not lose any files and settings and i am on the drive right now. but i know something will go wrong what i don't know :)

i think this all started with my digital camera that's when i noticed it all i had to change was (from the c: drive side was the other hard drive it was coming up as d: drive on the c: drive side but wheni was actually on the d: drive it would say f: all is well now i opened up some programs and didn't notice anything different accept that everything says f: as always on this side should i go to my c: drive to see if anyhting will act up?

sorry about that i didn't have my cup of coffee. here it is again :rolleyes:

before all of the happened i had my digital camera connected to my computer. i don't know if it was yanked out, i always have it connected. i was just wondering what could of caused the drivers assignments to change. and as for the drive when i would boot from the c: drive my second drive would come up as a d: drive but when i booted up with the second drive i would see the (the second) drive as an f: drive. but now i changed the driver assignments and also installed software on the c: drive maybe this will help

when i am on the c: drive ( my master drive) the driver assignments would look like this

local disk c:

local disk d:

3 1/2 floppy a:

cd-rw drive e:

dvd drive f:

and when i am on the d: drive (my slave drive) the driver assignments would look like this

local disk c:

local disk f:

3 1/2 floppy a:

cd-rw drive d:

dvd drive e:

i hope i did a better job this time :)

Ok, you're booting from a different drive and it's making your BIOS and Windows assign new letters to all your drives. It's not really something you can fix, it has to do with the order that your BIOS detects the drives (and might have something to do with how you have the drives attached to your mobo and what dip-switches are used on the drives). Windows will then auto assign the drive letters.

But once you change the drive letters in Windows using the Disk Manager, they should stay put. I'm not sure why they're switching around so much. :)

• 4 months later...

I got some problems in my computer. My computer used to have CD, DVD and webcam player, but now they are not there. Anyone know why it happened like that? When I turn on my computer, there are no signs of my cd or dvd in my computer any more. Now I can only use Locol disk (C:) I used to have Locol disk (D:) and Locol disk (E:) but they are not there now. Please someone help me, or tell me why it happened like that. Please tell me to get my cd and dvd back, Thank you.