SP2 is NOT for tweakers/performance users?

Monarch

The new and older SP2 have a DCOM service that MUST run and be set to automatic or otherwise you will not be able to boot into properly fucntioning WindowsXP. You will end up not having a working control panel features, START panel, and etc.

Additionally, even if I completely disable services, such as the CRYPTOGRAPHIC SERVICE, they will STILL start and set themselves to AUTOMATIC in certain instances.

Will it be like that always?

I'm a hardcore tweaker and have the minimum of services running (only 6 when I play games, the vital ones, and almost none when benchmarking).

I just wonder if SP2 is for me then...

I know of the guide, but I found out that some services he suggests to leave on can be turned off without any trouble. Cryptographic service is one of them. I don't know - 8 services set to AUTO with 1Gb of RAM should not cause a problem.

OK, well, I don't know how much risk you're willing to take. After backing up my registry, my tendency would be to see if I can hack the registry key for a given service to prevent it from restarting despite your setting from services.msc.

That hack could be key deletion or maybe setting the startup value you want and then changing permission on that reg key to prevent it's modification.

These are just speculations on my part and I haven't tried any of this, so BEWARE, you're on your own with the outcome.

That being said, if anybody comes out of the woodwork to criticize my brainstorming, just save your breath.