Why won't shimgvw.dll just get lost and die?

Marztabator

Before you ask, yes, I tried unregistering it with regsvr32. Although it seemed to work, it unfortunately seems to be linked to part of the Display properties, meaning the preview wallpaper function will not work properly unless the dll is properly registered again.

But the problem I find with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer is that it seems so greedy and obsessed with being top dog for viewing jpgs, gifs, pngs and the like. Even if I, for example, associate ACDSee (or ACDSee Classic) with the aforementioned formats, double-clicking on a picture seems to bring up WPFV instead of the desired third-party app I so wanted to utilise. Rather scarily, I checked the internal file type settings, and it appears the options specific to WPFV do not appear in the list of commands accustomed to any of the picture formats, meaning you cannot disable them. It's as if they're hard-coded into the system and hidden away!

So yeah, I want WPFV to take a hike and never darken my tower again, but at the same time I don't want my Preview Wallpaper/Desktop Theme function to go all tits-up because its ever-so-dependant bloody DLL isn't in service. Perhaps hex-editing needs to be the order of the day?

Comments if you will, thank ye.

Thanks for the registry trick, neo! I think I've actually seen this one before in the Registry Hacks thread or elsewhere, but I must have swiftly forgotten it eventually. I shall test it out with a fresh copy of Windows to see whether it really does solve the trick from the off....

While we're on the subject of pictures, has anyone ever had the problem where IE (or an IE-based browser such as MyIE2 or Avant) seems to always try to download PNG files rather than display them like pictures? I know this happens at least when opening them in new windows. If I cancel the download, then refresh the window, only then does IE execute the correct instruction (displaying it onto the window, that is).

Is there a registry hack to sort this out perhaps?

well I think it maybe bc of a settings that the host did.

I mean with the htaccess file u can define the png files as something else like zip or something.

did u try it with other sites that do support png

come to think about it my sig is in png format do u see it?

I mean try to copy and paste shortcut see what happens..

Ok, I found out it only seems to happen if I open a new window in the background when using MyIE2, particularly if I enable the "middle-mouse-button-to-open-new-window" feature. A bug in MyIE2 specifically perhaps? Perhaps I should use something else instead, lol?

Before you ask, yes, I tried unregistering it with regsvr32.  Although it seemed to work, it unfortunately seems to be linked to part of the Display properties, meaning the preview wallpaper function will not work properly unless the dll is properly registered again.

But the problem I find with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer is that it seems so greedy and obsessed with being top dog for viewing jpgs, gifs, pngs and the like.  Even if I, for example, associate ACDSee (or ACDSee Classic) with the aforementioned formats, double-clicking on a picture seems to bring up WPFV instead of the desired third-party app I so wanted to utilise.  Rather scarily, I checked the internal file type settings, and it appears the options specific to WPFV do not appear in the list of commands accustomed to any of the picture formats, meaning you cannot disable them.  It's as if they're hard-coded into the system and hidden away!

So yeah, I want WPFV to take a hike and never darken my tower again, but at the same time I don't want my Preview Wallpaper/Desktop Theme function to go all tits-up because its ever-so-dependant bloody DLL isn't in service.  Perhaps hex-editing needs to be the order of the day?

Amen! i know exacly what you mean! I have been irritated by the very same thing.

also, this:

Question: This is a new feature in windows xp where in the folder tree in windows explorer when you expand a folder you see subfolder AND compressed files, I don't want the compressed files to be shown, only folders like the eariler windows version.

Solution: it is a feature of XP as well as Me, but it can be disabled. Go to Start, Run, and type the following:

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

That stops working sometimes and i hafto it all again.

AND

the "view as list" remember settings for all folders sometimes doesn't work, it shows folder 1 as list, i enter folder 2 and then go back to folder 1 which has changed to view as large icons, it's like it forgetts settings sometimes.

Before you ask, yes, I tried unregistering it with regsvr32.  Although it seemed to work, it unfortunately seems to be linked to part of the Display properties, meaning the preview wallpaper function will not work properly unless the dll is properly registered again.

But the problem I find with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer is that it seems so greedy and obsessed with being top dog for viewing jpgs, gifs, pngs and the like.  Even if I, for example, associate ACDSee (or ACDSee Classic) with the aforementioned formats, double-clicking on a picture seems to bring up WPFV instead of the desired third-party app I so wanted to utilise.  Rather scarily, I checked the internal file type settings, and it appears the options specific to WPFV do not appear in the list of commands accustomed to any of the picture formats, meaning you cannot disable them.  It's as if they're hard-coded into the system and hidden away!

So yeah, I want WPFV to take a hike and never darken my tower again, but at the same time I don't want my Preview Wallpaper/Desktop Theme function to go all tits-up because its ever-so-dependant bloody DLL isn't in service.  Perhaps hex-editing needs to be the order of the day?

Amen! i know exacly what you mean! I have been irritated by the very same thing.

also, this:

Question: This is a new feature in windows xp where in the folder tree in windows explorer when you expand a folder you see subfolder AND compressed files, I don't want the compressed files to be shown, only folders like the eariler windows version.

Solution: it is a feature of XP as well as Me, but it can be disabled. Go to Start, Run, and type the following:

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

That stops working sometimes and i hafto it all again.

AND

the "view as list" remember settings for all folders sometimes doesn't work, it shows folder 1 as list, i enter folder 2 and then go back to folder 1 which has changed to view as large icons, it's like it forgetts settings sometimes.

I also disable zipfldr.dll after a fresh installation, although if you try double-clicking on a zip file afterwards it magically re-enables the bloody DLL again without your consent. Therefore you should remember to install a third-party compression app after deregistering the dll to truly get rid of the association once and for all (in a way).

I did try to alter the i386 setup to not install the DLL at all once but this only led to the Rollup being eternally listed on Windows Update, because unfortunately WU relies on reading actual individual system files to see if they exist before deciding upon the status of the Rollup, rather than, say, a simple log file to let it know what's there and everything. Meh.

Microsoft sure love to shove unecessary things down your throat. Like DRM, for example.

If you use nLite you can remove that zipfldr.dll file and information and the update shouldn't show up either. That's what I'm using at the moment.

Well I've just tried out nLite but, upon examining the created ISO in IsoBuster, it appears none of the content has been modified whatsoever. ZIPFLDR.DL_ still exists. No matter how many times I check the content I want gone and build the image, this does not change.

And before you ask:

a) Yes, I did copy the contents of the CD onto HD first.

:) I also tested this ISO out on Virtual PC. All the content I asked be removed was still present and active.

Does this app still need a lot of work?