Tools with multiple disks

neo_3333

Partition Magic 8 can be added to a multi-boot DVD by injecting the second disk image into the first.

But how can I add tools which ask you to insert the second, third or so on disk after booting from first disk and/or have more than two disk ?

Could someone help me ?

There are some posts that address this question - look for acronis and msdos in the topics.

A general guide on how to do this can be found here. It deals primarily with Acronis apps but can be adapted to fit others.

For MSDOS: more info here.

Hi Neo 3333,

Alanoll's suggestion of just pressing a key to continue has worked on everything I have done so far. So you might decide to just live with it but it doesn't have to be that way.

If you don't want the message "insert 2nd disk and press any key" or similar to appear the best bet is to look for a file called autoexec.bat in the image and then extract it to a folder of your choice.

You can then edit the file in Notepad (or another text editor) to remove the lines that display this message and deal with the keypress.

Then save the file and inject it back into the image file, allowing it to overwrite the existing file.

When doing this kind of work it's always a good idea to make a copy of the original and put it somewhere safe - just in case...

I have successfully used this technique for several of the multi-floppy images that ask for the 2nd disk.

If you are unsure about any of this please post details of the particular app. and if I have it available I will take a look and post more info. for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

DTS56

Speaking personally, I haven't yet come across a program that makes more than 2 floppies so would appreciate knowing which particular program(s) you are talking about.

I'm guessing here (maybe someone more knowledgeable can help out with this) but I would imagine that if you were to create a logical drive on your hard disk of the required size then you should be able to read the first floppy into an image file then copy it to your newly created logical drive. Then you would be able to inject files from however many floppies you need to into the image. Then you could point nero (or whatever) at the image file on the newly created logical drive and it should make the iso from that.

As I said I haven't actually come across this problem before but that is how I would approach it and then tackle any problems from there.

Confirmation of this approach would be nice. Help, anyone??

Regards,

DTS56

I have just had a look at the links in ArmyDoc's post and if it is Acronis products or DOS you are talking about you will find all you need there, but you may need to adapt for your particular situation.

I don't currently have any of the Acronis products nor currently a need to put DOS on my multi-boot, that's why I didn't bother looking at the links before. (Sorry ArmyDoc).

Regards,

DTS56

Acronis OS Selector Rescue Disks for the boot manager requires three floppies and so does the MS-DOS 6.22 installation.

With both I had a look it at the auotexec.bat files and there is nothing which refers to the second or third disk.