Yahoo Messenger 6?

wolfshade

I install Yahoo Messenger from T-12 stage(cmdlines) and i use this code:

ECHO Installing Yahoo Messenger 6.0.0.1643
START /WAIT E:\PostInst\ymsgrie\ymsgrie.exe /s
taskkill /F /IM YPager.exe /T
START /WAIT regedit /s "E:\PostInst\ymsgrie\settings.reg"
ECHO.

While it works while i'm logged on this taskkill entry gives me an "Critical error" and obviously doesn't close YPager.exe but the yahoo messenger opens anyway

Is it posible that at the cmdlines stage the services aren't started or something?

Do i have to use a PID? How do i do that?

u can get the PID # from taskmanager, u have 2 be in your OS already, then goto view, select columns, theirs an option for PID there

try pskill tho as an alternative

regards

I would use MCT's suggestion. Use pskill.

I am not too familiar with PID numbers but don't they change just about every time you open a given app? For example: I just opened yahoo messenger and the PID was 320, I closed it and reopened and it was 856. Or is there a way to specify a PID # for a app while starting it in the command line?

Hmmm the problem is that i'm NOT in the OS while installing from cmdlines.txt so how do i fetch the YPager's PID???

If i can do that then i can close it by specifying PID to taskkill in the batch right after i pass the PID from the fetch(it would req a var).

In short i need an util that fetches the pid and a way to transmit it to taskkill.

BTW where can i get pskill?

Devil_666 why not read the rest of the post and learn that this is about instaling from cmdlines.txt and killing the app right after it begins nagging like u :rolleyes:

P.S.:I will make a test using pskill but i'm too tired now to stand by and watch windows intall again so i'll post result later.

I'm not gonna test this but there might be a flaw too cuz i try to "taskkill" it right after i install it but yahoo opens after a second or so ... so it might not find it at the times taskkill attempts the kill(although it doesn't explain the "Critical error" it returns)

\/~\/ Oh yeah and 10x for the backup MCT :) \/~\/

Edited by wolfshade

might sound a stupid comment here, but why the hell dont you just go in the OS and double click the .exe file fool if your wanting to install yahoo 
sometimes topics posted in a particular forum (unattended forum/application switches) are there for a particular reason, cuz he wants 2 do an unattended install, so hes not having 2 double click any .exe its already setup for him :)
btw im stoned

thanks for advertising, BTW, its not something 2 be proud of :rolleyes:

regards

taskkill works, if its done correctly, like i said above, for basic "killing" of a process, i just prefer pskill, but taskkill is better for if u have multi windows open of the same name, like IE, u can kill only 1 process of IE (as alanoll states in another thread)

regards

nope i used taskkill /f /im ypager.exe /t (it also starts an yserver) and it didn't work for me (critical error)

when i replaced taskkill with pskill it just brutally slayed it :) (yserver too -- it must've been in tree / tested it while in windows works fine too)

sysinternals software isn't as friendly as win tools i also have ntfsdos who mounts ntfs partitions allthough it doesn't write well it reads 'em, also the whole lot of "console"tools(freeware) are a blessing.