DirectX Update KB839643

GreenMachine

the biggest problem with this update, is the fact that the DX9 OPK routine overwrites the updated files. It's not SFC.

I just the file versions just after the hotfix runs (T-8 ; brought up a command prompt and was quick about it) and the file versions were the correct 903. So something with the DX9 install is causing them to overwrite.

One work around, could be to during the XPCREATE process.....

is ALSO to repackage teh DX9 OPK file. Expand the file, replace the new files, repackage so it acts just like the original. I dunno if the setup will fail, but it's worth a shot.....

Well this is what I did and it works as WU reports no critical updates to download and KB839643 shows up in Add/Remove Programs.

Installed DX9OPK in svcpack.inf and then call a batch file near the end of my RunOnceEx list that contains this:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Security Update for DirectPlay Denial of Service Vulnerability (KB839643)
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\DirectX90-KB839643-x86-ENU.EXE /Q /O /N /Z

If it doesn't install, check the file KB839643-DirectX9.log in your %systemroot% directory because it will tell you why it didn't install. :)

yes......

BUT

as this is the XPCREATE forum, we're trying to get it to work FROM SVCPACK.INF as describe in the Microsoft docs. Not just trying to get it work, we already knew that way. It's the hard way we want to figure out.

Thanks anyway.

@Alanoll: The DX9 update/repack may be the answer, though I doubt Spheris is gonna like it! A bit tough, because the files are in a CAB inside and IExpress package, but there should be a way, assuming the CAT files get updated first. Maybe this weekend ...

Try this workaround to get KB839643 to install from svcpack.inf:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=20931

If dx9upd.exe is added to SVC-PRE it should work like ie6go.exe for win2000. WindowsXP-KB839643-x86-ENU.EXE is added to SVC-HF1 as usual.

I haven't tried it myself :) , but if anyone does, please post here and tell if it works.

Not the most perfect way, but until something else comes along....

Edited by ToBe

it's either that or replacing the files elsewhere, and atleast this way we don't modify the original DX9 package....

Also, the DLLs are registered at about T-8 or something around tehre, in the finishing up stages....

Also, the DLLs are registered at about T-8 or something around tehre, in the finishing up stages....

Oh, ok.

I checked my localized (swedish) version, and at first reboot, a key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run called DXDllRegExE with the value %windir%\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}\dxdllreg.exe shows up.

That's why I thought the dx9 dll's are registered at first logon.

I'm glad to hear that it's working not only here at my place for once :)

It should be possible to repack the dx9ntopk.exe with the updated dll's. That should give the same result in the end, I think.

Tried it with xpcreate, and WU shows no critical updates. The dx9upd.exe was placed in the SVC-PRE folder. I did get an error message at the end of the install, though, so more testing needs to be done. When I tried with my manual unattended install, I did not get any errors.