Issues installing ATI Catalyst Driver, version 4.5

Sgt_Strider

Maybe somebody can help us to write a batch filefor it .

My suggestion is:

-> After installing Catalyst driver, search for a installed component (file.ext)

-> If "file.ext" exists, then install Cpanel, else exit

ive got my nForce2 drivers in the unattended cd... now for the catalysts...

im such a noob so slap me if im wrong! :rolleyes:

well everything works fine EXCEPT the CATALYST DRIVERS...

i want to install everything silently. the whole 29mb version. the name of the file is

wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-01-040421a-015419c.exe. ive extracted and everything ive even tried the original exe unextracted with /s /r switches... the only thing that changes is that the ATI splash background doesnt popup and it still tells me to click through next next next..

ive been up for a REALLY REALLY long time and im on dialup so its pretty hard to do research.. so if anyone can help me figure it out it would be greatly appreciated! :)

QUOTE (Buller @ Jun 13 2004, 08:58 PM)

OR you could install them when windows is trying to find better drivers when you have to "blue screen - 13 min. left"

If you have downloaded the Full pack with Cpanel. You can do this:

1. Extract the driver with Winrar

2. Go to the folder: 'Driver\2KXP_INF' and Copy ALL

3. Now go to '$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Catalyst4_6' and place em there.

In your Winnt.sif ('XPCD\i386') Under [unattended] put this in:

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Catalyst4_6\"

This works for me And as you can see with the Cat 4.6 driver

ADD:

I tried that, didnt work. thats how everything is in my Winnt.sif file and it doesnt work...... what im trying to get here is how to install the -WHOLE PACK- silently.

im sure theres a switch for it... i mean.. theres gotta be? :)

ok... i got the control panel to install silently.... but i dont know how to get the driver to install. im guessing its because when i startup an error message says no driver present, and the control panel is on my desktop.

i installed the control panel via installation with a batch command. here's what it looks like!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ATi Control Panel

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\ATi\Setup.exe /s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so now, would anyone have any suggestions on telling me how i should install the driver and have it actually work with the 29mb version???

i know its not needed since i dont have an AIW card... just a 9800 PRO 128MB version.

it would be nice to have that install all together instead of installing everything in different places! :)

BTW IF YOU CAN SEE MY ATTATCHMENT... IS THAT THE WAY YOUR CATALYST4_6 FOLDER LOOKED? IF YOU CAN, CAN YOU SHOW ME A SCREEN SHOT OF YOURS?

post-88-1088777097.jpg

Hey Unreal, I saw you successfully got the Nforce to work on your slipstream CD. Could you share how you did that? I also have the ATI - Nforce setup, but I could never get them to work right. I too have crappy dialup, and my slipstream CD was lost on my last hard drive failure. So before I download things and try, I want a sure-fire solution to do it right. I too would like to have the newest ATI and Nvidia drivers be installed *only* if the computer needs it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
please...someone help me!

Hello everyone!,

I am making the unattended xp cd, and now while I was compiling the drivers I found this thread...

I have downloaded the last version of Catalyst drivers (wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-03-040610a-016126c). In order to make the silent installation, I am following the MSFN´s method. I aplied this method to the green folders that appear in the screenshot - CPanel, Driver & WDM - (before that, I deleted all the iss files inside these folders), one by one, note that the iss file generated in C:\windows overwrites the previously one, if any...

I hope this can help, if You haven´t done this yet.

Greetings, BlaK3.

post-88-1090277573_thumb.jpg

Here is what i did.

$OEM$/$1/Drivers/007_Catalyst_4.7

$OEM$/$1/Drivers/008_Catalyst_WDM_4.7

In those two folders are the XP Drivers within the Cat4.7 Package

Then I have the Control Panel install at first login only if the ATI Drivers where installed properly (If no ATI Hardware is installed then CPANEL won't install)

$OEM$\$1\Install\Drivers\Cat4.7_CPanel

That is where I have the Control Panel for the Cat4.7 Package

And this is the Batch File Code used to call the CPANEL installation

@echo off

IF EXIST C:\Windows\System32\ati2dvag.dll GOTO InstallATI

ECHO.

ECHO No ATI Adapters Found

GOTO NOATI

:InstallATI

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ATI Catalyst 4.7 Control Panel.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Drivers\Cat4.7_CPanel\Setup.exe -s

:NOATI

EXIT

This Checks to see if the driver file from the Cat4.7 Package is installed and if it is, the batch file calls the CPANEL installation using the setup.iss file that is pre-packaged in with the CPANEL installation files.

Here is what i did.

$OEM$/$1/Drivers/007_Catalyst_4.7

$OEM$/$1/Drivers/008_Catalyst_WDM_4.7

In those two folders are the XP Drivers within the Cat4.7 Package

Then I have the Control Panel install at first login only if the ATI Drivers where installed properly (If no ATI Hardware is installed then CPANEL won't install)

$OEM$\$1\Install\Drivers\Cat4.7_CPanel

That is where I have the Control Panel for the Cat4.7 Package

And this is the Batch File Code used to call the CPANEL installation

@echo off

ECHO.

GOTO NOATI

ECHO.

EXIT

This Checks to see if the driver file from the Cat4.7 Package is installed and if it is, the batch file calls the CPANEL installation using the setup.iss file that is pre-packaged in with the CPANEL installation files.

Does SmartGart get installed?

P.S.: how did you 'develop' this method? Got it from my idea in another topic? (ATI+nforce=headache ?)

Using this Method SmartGart Does not get installed. I am having a little trouble with the WDM Drivers portion of the Driver Install also so I need to work that part out. but the Main Drivers and Control Panel are installed perfectly. the WDM drivers are only needed for cards with VIVO (Video In/Video Out) Capabilites.

I will come up with something, I still have a few more ideas I am thinking about.

I just came up with this idea because I wanted one cd with both nvidia and ATI drivers on it. I have two pc's and didn't want to have two different install CD's. I deal with If statements alot using Excel so it wasn't much to come up with this.

tret

Ok I am trying something a little different. I had it set to install the cat4.7 video drivers and WDM drivers using the /$oem$/$1/drivers/***** method. and then install the Control Panel during the first boot via GuiRunOnce

The problem I was getting was that First the WDM Drivers were not installing correctly so I had two unknown devices in the device manager. Trying to install the WDM drivers at this point did not work. Secondly although the Control Panel Installed without errors, the SmartGart Tab was missing from the Advanced section of the Display Properties.

So I have decided to try and keep the proper order during Catalyst Installation as much as possible. This would be Driver, Control Panel, WDM Driver. But the reason I wanted to have the driver installed via the /$oem$/$1/drivers/***** method was so that later I could use an If statement to see if the Control Panel was needed ( No sense installing control panel if no ATI Hardware is found).

My solution to this is simple. still allow /$oem$/$1/drivers/***** to install the Driver and then on first boot do a standard Driver->Control Panel->WDM Driver installation IF the driver file is found. It looks like this.

@echo off

ECHO.

GOTO NOATI

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ATI Catalyst 4.7 Driver.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Drivers\Cat4.7_Driver\Setup.exe -s

ECHO.

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ATI Catalyst 4.7 WDM Drivers.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Drivers\Cat4.7_WDM\Setup.exe -s

EXIT

If no ATI driver is found in the machine then no further installations. Or so I hope, I am testing now so I will reply with the outcome.

tret

Ok, having a little issue with the next GUIRUNONCE batch file running before my Cat drivers are fully installed. Going to work on this. but getting close, i can feel it. hehe

tret

Here's my current Install.cmd file (@T-12) for installing ATI AIW display drivers. It also shows how I load the sound and an alternate display drivers too. Found out that for proper operation, I need to insert a little bit of a delay between installs. It seems the most natural way to install the display driver set distributed by the vendors. I just don't like to whack my brain and wonder if I've installed everything or not using the PnP method.

REM cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
set ONE_MATCHES="s/.* matching device(s) found./set deviceInstalled=yes/"
set NO_MATCHES="s/No matching devices found./set deviceInstalled=no/"

echo Installing DirectX9 HOTFIX ...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\DirectX90-KB839643-x86-ENU.EXE /Q /O /N /Z
sleep 2

echo Installing Windows Media Encoder...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Multimedia\WMEncoder\WMEncoder.msi /qn
sleep 2

set DEVICE_ID="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_1021147B"
devcon find %DEVICE_ID% | sed -e "/^PCI\\VEN.*/d" -e %ONE_MATCHES% -e %NO_MATCHES% >%systemdrive%\Install\deviceCheck.cmd
call %systemdrive%\Install\deviceCheck.cmd

if %deviceInstalled% == yes (
   echo Installing Realtek Audio Driver...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Audio\Realtek\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
)

set DEVICE_ID="PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0200&SUBSYS_064E10B0"
devcon find %DEVICE_ID% | sed -e "/^PCI\\VEN.*/d" -e %ONE_MATCHES% -e %NO_MATCHES% >%systemdrive%\Install\deviceCheck.cmd

echo Installing NVIDIA GeForce Display Driver...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\NVIDIA\61.76_winxp2k_english_whql\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
   echo Installing NVIDIA WDM VIVO Capture Driver...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\NVIDIA\2.20_wdm-vivo\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
)

set DEVICE_ID="PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E48&SUBSYS_4F721002"

echo Installing ATI Radeon Display Driver...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\ATI\wxp-w2k-8-03-040610a-016126c\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
   echo Installing ATI Radeon Control Panel...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\ATI\control-panel-8-03-040610a-016126c\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
   echo Installing ATI Radeon WDM Capture Driver...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\ATI\tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6240\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
   echo Installing ATI AIW Radeon DAO/MDAC...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\ATI\mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
   echo Installing ATI AIW Radeon Multimedia Center...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\ATI\mmc-9-1-0-0\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
   echo Installing ATI AIW Radeon DVD Decoder...
   start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Video\ATI\DVDDcdr\setup.exe /s
   sleep 2
)

GuiRunOnce Portion of winnt.sif

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\Install\move.cmd

%systemdrive%\Install.cmd

$OEM$\$1\Install\Move.cmd

@Echo off

ECHO.

ECHO Re-Locating Install Batch File

move %systemdrive%\Install\Install.cmd %systemdrive%\Install.cmd

EXIT

$OEM$\$1\Install\Install.cmd

@Echo off

GOTO Hotfixes

:Hotfixes

ECHO.

ECHO Installing HotFixes...

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q832483 Buffer overrun in an MDAC function

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Updates\Q832483.exe /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q817778 Advanced Networking Pack

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Updates\Q817778.exe /Q /O /N /Z

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q817778 Security Update for DirectX 9.0

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Updates\Q839643.exe /Q /O /N /Z

ECHO.

ECHO Please wait, Short Pause Before Installing Apps

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 8 -w 1000 > nul

Goto Apps

:Apps

ECHO.

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Apps...

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Windows Messenger 5.0

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Apps\messenger.msi /qb

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Journal Viewer 1.5

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Apps\JV.msi /qn

ECHO.

ECHO Please wait, Short Pause Before Installing Drivers

GOTO Drivers

:DRIVERS

ECHO.

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Drivers...

ECHO.

GOTO Cleanup

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ATI Catalyst 4.7 Driver.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Drivers\Cat4.7_Driver\Setup.exe -s

ECHO.

ECHO Pausing While Temporary Driver Files are Deleted

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > nul

ECHO.

ECHO.

ECHO Pausing While Temporary Driver Files are Deleted

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > nul

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ATI Catalyst 4.7 WDM Drivers.

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Drivers\Cat4.7_WDM\Setup.exe -s

ECHO.

ECHO Please wait, Short Pause Before Cleanup and Restart

GOTO Cleanup

:Cleanup

ECHO.

ECHO.

ECHO Deleting Temporary Directories

IF Exist %systemdrive%\install\ GOTO DELINSTALL

GOTO DriverCheck

:DriverCheck

IF EXIST %systemdrive%\Drivers\ GOTO DELDRIVERS

GOTO Reboot

:DELINSTALL

ECHO.

ECHO Deleting Temporary Install Directory

rd /q /s %systemdrive%\Install\

GOTO DriverCheck

:DELDRIVERS

ECHO.

ECHO Deleting Temporary Driver Directory

rd /q /s %systemdrive%\Drivers\

GOTO Reboot

:Reboot

ECHO.

ECHO PC will Restart in 5 to 10 Seconds...

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 01 -c "Windows XP will restart in 01 Seconds"

ECHO.

ECHO Deleting Batch File

del %systemdrive%\Install.cmd

EXIT

This is my new Install.cmd batch file, i combined the different batch files that i was calling from winnt.sif into 1 batch file, now less is called from winnt.sif and it works much smoother.

The point of the move.cmd batch file is to move the install.cmd file to the system root so that when it calls to delete the Install and Driver Folders once everything is completed it can continue to call the restart and then delete itself. If it is inside the Install folder on the system drive when it calls to delete the Install folder it deletes itself and then can't continue on to call the restart. I could have done it by deleting the Install and Driver Folder after the restart call, but i liked this way better.

As you can see I added pauses in between certain processes by using a ping command to the default localhost IP Address, this should work fine on any Windows XP machine with networking installed. Isn't it on all XP machines regardless of whether or not a modem or NIC is installed?? correct me if I am wrong.

I found that after the Cat4.7 Control Panel Install, the WDM driver installation was giving me an access error, i figured it was doing this because the control panel driver wasn't quite finished, with the short pause between them all goes smoothly

I used the supplied setup.iss files that were in the Driver folder and CPanel Folder of the Cat4.7 Package as they seem to do the trick. I had to create a new one however for the WDM Installer.

To get these three installers simply extract the cat4.7 package and grab the three folders that we are concerned with, Driver, CPanel and WDM and call for them to be installed one at a time with pauses between them.

This could have been done much easier but my main purpose was to only install the ATI Control Panel and WDM drivers if ATI Hardware exists. If there was no ATI Hardware then the OemPnPDriversPath driver installation method would not copy the C:\Windows\System32\ati2dvag.dll file to the system and then my batch file would simply ignore the whole ATI Section.

If any of this rambling was unclear, just specify what and i will respond. Good luck all

tret