RunOnceEx from cd doesn't start

Hi everybody and first of all, thanks to all these great people that dedicates their time to help others.

I read before making questions in the forum, but this time I could not see any answer for the question I am about to ask.

When trying to migrate the process from regular RunOnceEx to RunOnceEx from CD I am running into an issue. At the time when cmdlines.txt is supposed to be picked up, which I understand is at minute 12, it looks like it is not being picked up. That's my thinking, but could be something else. After rebooting RunOnceEx should be run but it doesn't happen. The OS gets installed but no programs are installed. However something that I tried was to manually execute RunOnceEx.cmd and rebooting, and that way all the programs were installed including the hotfixes that can't be installed through svcpack.inf.

My understanding tells me that it should be run automatically after rebooting and login in the first time.

I followed all the instructions from the guide on how to create an unattended installation with RunOnceEx from cd. Created a blank CD.txt file and placed it in the right place as indicated.

I will include my RunOnceEx.cmd file for you people to review and help me figure out why it is not being picked up.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

RunOnceEx.cmd

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

IF EXIST D:\CD.txt set CDROM=D:
IF EXIST E:\CD.txt set CDROM=E:
IF EXIST F:\CD.txt set CDROM=F:
IF EXIST G:\CD.txt set CDROM=G:
IF EXIST H:\CD.txt set CDROM=H:
IF EXIST I:\CD.txt set CDROM=I:
IF EXIST J:\CD.txt set CDROM=J:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Adobe Acrobat Reader 6" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%cdrom%\install\Apps\AdobeReader6\AR6.msi /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "SpyBot Search And Destroy 1.3" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%cdrom%\install\Apps\spyBSD\spyBSD13.exe /silent /nocancel /taskbarhide /autoclose" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%cdrom%\install\Apps\NAV2003\NAV\NAV.msi /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "MSN Messenger 6.0.0602 Final" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%cdrom%\install\Apps\MSN\MsnMsgs.msi /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Nero Burning ROM 6" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %cdrom%\Install\Apps\nero\register.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 2 /D "%cdrom%\Install\Apps\Nero\nero6009.exe /silent /noreboot" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Installing Hotfixes" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%cdrom%\install\hotfixes\hotfixes.cmd" /f

RunOnceEx is placed inside $OEM$ folder and alongside with it is cmdlines.txt which is:

CMDLINES.TXT

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

Here is winnt.sif if needed to be reviewed.

WINNT.SIF

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition=No
   WaitForReboot="No"
   Autoactivate = No
   UnattendSwitch="no"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword="
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=32
   Xresolution=1024
   YResolution=768
   Vrefresh=75

[UserData]
   FullName="
   OrgName="
   ComputerName=*
   ProductKey=*

[Tapilocation]
   CountryCode=1
   Dialing=Tone

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=*

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off

Thanks again and any help will be appreciated.

alex123

Thanks. But let me clear this to myself.

When I was running RunOnceEx with the original method, I didn't have to add the ".\" in cmdlines.txt and it worked properly. So, I am assuming it is only needed when used the alternative method of running all software from cd.

As you could see I only run RunOnceEx from there, but if I decide to run any other thing from there then I have to add the ".\" before all commands. Am I right?

Right now I am in the middle of running the process with the tip you shared with me. Minute 19 and counting.... :) I will post back with the results.

Thanks for all your help.

Alex123

I never fathomed that either, but it seems like many get away without the leading .\. When I was using CMDLINES I had problems sometimes, but never with the .\. It is almost like $OEM% is not the current directory when it is called. But ... i stopped using CMDLINES.TXT, and my curiosity left me ...

A suggestion to the mods. It should be highlighted on the guide to make RunOnceEx from CD that if it fails to call RunOnceEx.cmd during installation, the leading .\ must be placed in the cmdlines.txt file like this.

[COMMANDS]

".\RunOnceEx.cmd"

Hope this help others.

Alex123.

If the file was in the $OEM$ folder then you don't need the .\

If the file was in the root of the cd then you do need the .\

Exactly the behaviour one would expect. However, in practice homiebrah, Alex123 and myself have all found this to be false ...

something must be taking the windows install out of the $OEM$ folder I guess. and into some folder in the $OEM$ folder. Isn't that what the .\ means - to go back a level?

beats me...

also I see that you indicated that you file was in $OEM$ - must have missed that.

also - I might suggest putting in your hotfixes first. Get windows up to snuff before anything is installed.

And I'd install NAV last, so it isn't running while you are trying to finish installs (besides if you use any VBS scripts to help things along - NAV might stop it).

just my 2 cents

..\ means back up a level, .\ means in the directory in which the file is found. Yes, it appears that for some reason the Current Directory (CD) is not $OEM$ when we start CMDLINES.TXT. Could be the cause of something that ran be before. Don't know, but the .\ fixes it. Easy enough for me!