Power settings won't remain fixed

ardi

I like to turn my monitor and drives off after 3 minutes. So I go to the power settings and select those options. (standby, hibernate etc are off) All is fine till a day or two later when I notice the screen doesn't shut off. The settings are still correct but it ignores them till I select and apply them again.

Very frustrating.

Yes, I'm the admin.

This is one of several little anomalies. I have trouble with the sharing settings for the local network. This computer just won't share in one direction with one other computer. Everything else is fine with sharing. Sometimes when I'm using one specific app (Nero) the machine just decides to reboot. No specific action preceeds the event, the screen just goes dark and then the bios starts up.

I think I've got some little problems in the registry. Short of reinstalling the OS I'm stumped. Maybe (like whistling in the dark) SP2 will fix everything for me.

Does anyone know if the service packs clean up the registry for any little errors that have gotten in there?

ardi

this could be problems with ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) u may have 2 enabled/disabled it goto device manager > view > show hidden devices

then go down 2 NT/APM Legacy Suppot it should be enabled

HTH :)

It sounds to me like you're motherboard is having ACPI trouble. If you can't seem to fix it with MCTs advice, try heading to your BIOS. There may be some erroneous power management settings there. Cross your fingers and hope your mobo isn't going out on you.

Oh man, that is not what I want to hear. This is a fairly new Abit board (2-3 months) with Raid drives. It would be a major mess to change all that out.

Today a new problem: Outlook Express suddenly doesn't want to get mail from one of the pop servers. Just suddenly chokes when trying to retreive mail. Provider says everything is fine on their end.

I've set up forwarding so I get mail through another server, but what happened is a mystery. Something here is very unstable.

Well, if worse comes to worse, you can try a Repair install of Windows. Just pop in your windows cd, reboot, boot from the CD-ROM and wait for the install prompt. Use the Repair option and hope that fixes things. With the repair option, you'll keep all your programs/settings/etc...

Then I'd re-install SP1. After that, use AutoPatcher to get your system up to date.

It's a lot of work, but it will surely fix any windows problems you may have.

Unless you have a virus. :)

Anywho, I hope you can get the problem fixed without too much trouble.

Thank you neosapience, and MCT and discardme for your suggestions.

I got the pop server "unstuck" by getting it downloading to a different machine. Something in the first message was hanging it. After that it is working fine again.

I've never heard of Autopatcher. I'll investigate further. And before I give up on a motherboard I'll exhaust the software fixes.

thanks again :)

AutoPatcher is awesome. It's a program put together by the guys at Neo Win. It contains every patch released by MS since SP1, along with a ton of other important stuff, like DX9, .Net framework, etc... It even comes with a bunch of system tweaks.

It's a pretty big download and the links are a tad flaky, but it's surely worth having until SP2 is official.