Copying Windows XP

okih-imus

Well, my brother has just bought Thief - Deadly Shadows for the PC. I would like to play it but there's one problem, Windows98se is not supported and I have Windows98se. I installed it and when I tried to run the game it said it was corrupt. I was just wondering if I could just copy the files from windows XP on his computer to my HardDrive. I know there are some hidden files in XP like SAM files; do I need special software to copy it? And another thing about the CD keys, that makes no sense to me. You need to activate it before you use it? Don't go there! :) but I want to stay as far in the green as possible. :rolleyes:

Well, thanks!

Edited by gamehead200

:)

I reckon what you want to do would be more legal if your brother removed Windows XP from his computer before he installed it on yours.

People doing stuff like what you want to do is the reason MS provides for implementing the Activation Code scheme.

I can't speak for others but I don't believe you'll find much pirating help on this site.

As this is your OPERATING SYSTEM and not just some piece of fluff software, the last thing I'd do is get a cracked version.

JUST IN CASE you weren't aware, having (I assume a genuine) Win98 OS installed already, you CAN just buy the WinXP upgrade ($75-$100 ??? sorry, don't recall) instead of having to buy the full version. You will have to insert your original Win98 install media, however, to complete the XP install.

• 2 weeks later...
I reckon what you want to do would be more legal if your brother removed Windows XP from his computer before he installed it on yours....

CLARIFICATION: I said MORE legal (still not necessarily legal), but I failed to mention I was thinking in terms of transferring ownership ! Actually, I don't know if transfer complies with this particular license agreement. But I believe many licenses allow removal from one machine and installation to another.

I'll acknowledge what Game Head said before he revised his post and say that the upgrade path to XP from Win 98 can have its problems, some of which I experienced. In any event, I've since done a few reformats and installs from scratch and I think that's gotten rid of potential Win 98 garbage.

I think the price difference from upgrade to full XP has gone down but when I upgraded a year and a half ago the price difference was on the order of $100.

To reiterate: I don't condone piracy and perhaps I fell short of making that clear above, thinking of it as a kind of "civic" duty.

Sincere thanks to Gamehead for reopening the thread and letting me help avoid any readers' potential misunderstanding ! :)

Is it MORE legal if you rob a bank with a legal licensed gun or an illegal unlicensed gun gun?

Microsoft's answer would be that if you want to use the XP install disk on more than one computer you need to purchase an additional license for each computer.

You don't have to copy the CD to install it on your computer. You can just make a image from your bro's sys harddisk and put it back into yours computer. :rolleyes:

That won't work because of the activation file... The hardware is obviously different and it won't be able to work... :)

Is it MORE legal if you rob a bank with a legal licensed gun or an illegal unlicensed gun gun?...

Amusing analogy but not relevant to anything I've said.

I've allowed that it MAY or MAY NOT conform with the MS license agreement for the brother to remove XP from his machine, transfer ownership of the software to IP, and for IP to install it (as the new owner) on his machine. PERIOD.

I've explained this by e-mail to gamehead200 and I've explained it here.

If you don't get it, kmf, TOUGH !

Your next victim should be tofumonzter. No doubt THAT would be illegal, not to mention stupidly ineffective (as gamehead200 pointed out).

I'm not wasting my finger cartilage on it any more.