DUAL BOOT SCREWED ME OVER

ThA_FiLeR

Ok this s*** is freaking me out, I got dual boot to work by re-installing both ME and XP now its workin great but, it screwed over my drives and it keeps on asking me for boot disk then, when i hit a key to continue it load up fine, but I want that crap to be off. My drives were like this:

C:\ Windows XP (partition 1/ disk: SCSI)

D:\ Extra Drive 40GIG

E:\ Extra Drive 15GIG

F:\ Extra Drive (Partion 2 / disk scsi)

So i installed ME on F:\ and XP on C, now its like this:

C:\ Extra Drive 40GIG

D:\ Extra Drive 15GIG

E:\ Windows XP (partition 1/ disk: SCSI)

F:\ Windows ME (partition 2/ disk: SCSI)

Id like to just have my C as my windows XP dir, hope theres any way to get this done, I'm really tired coz I feckin worked on it till late in the night and was tired when i started on it already and I get a POS result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds as if you did this with partition magic and boot magic. if so it will continue to ask for the boot disk...when you started this process did you do a reformat?. Windows ME should have been the first OS that you installed followed by XP. Once this has been completed it should go through P.O.S.T then give you 30 seconds to choose which OS you want to load. If you do not make a choice it will boot to XP. XP should show as choice one then me as choice two. Hope this helps.

Since it appears that you have more than 1 physical hard disk drive, I would restate my reply to one of your earlier posts. But first, I am not sure what you mean by 'extra drive'. Anyway --- on your 2nd physical disk, copy any data files you want to preserve. Then boot to DOS and use fdisk on the 1st physical disk drive and create 2 partitions (these will end up being C and D). Then, format both C and D. THEN - install WinME on C. Then install WinXP - it will go onto D by default. It will also create a boot.ini file that will make XP the default - you will have to select WinME from a menu if you want to boot to it. Now - you will have to re-sinatll your applications and copy your data files back to where you want them. This is the ONLY sure fire way to get a clean and stable dual boot.

LS

Like LS_dragons said ... start over.

You need the boot.ini to be configured properly and clean installations of both operating systems is the best way.

Remember, install WinMe on C (your boot drive) and it must be FAT32!

Remember, when you start the WinXP installation it will recognize WinME and ask you which logical drive you want to install WinXP. Choose any logical drive that is in NTFS or FAT32 format (I prefer NTFS for advanced features that FAT32 will not support).

The boot.ini will be configured by WinXP for you.

Key points:

WinME must be installed before WinXP.

WinME must be installed on a FAT32 drive.

WinME must be installed to C (your boot drive).

WinXP must be installed after you install WinME.

WinXP must be install on a NTFS or FAT32 drive.

These links from the previous thread explain it all:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...d/multiboot.asp

The links BW gave you are also good links for technical information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q217210

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q306559

Hope this helps.

I started over twice now (installeing both os's) and now i finally got it to work the only thing I had to do to get it to work was changing the MSDOS .sys file to my F:\ drive and i also fixed the hard drive mess by disabling the D:\ hard drive when installing XP then I enabled it again and it got their old names back again. Thanks to everyone who helped me out here.

BTW:

C doesnt have to be ME

I have XP on C:\ and ME on F:\