Answer to cant find missing NTLDR and REBOOT

Markymoo

You should have made a boot file in your root dir 4 characters in upper case to whatever you want and has to be the same name as your boot folder like so.

"PRO1.DAT"

"PRO1" XP boot folder

The reason you get the error message can't find NTLDR is you haven't specified correctly in your root boot DAT file your boot folder location or not at all. Its looking for I386 dir so if you have not changed this and named correctly you will get it. Look below and edit your DAT file i use winhex and at the end of the file change I386 to PRO1 you only have room to use 4 characters or you will corrupt the file.

PRO1.DAT edit this and search for I386 its at end of file and change to PRO1 and name your XP boot folder PRO1 too. In your case your boot file is booting up and hanging and cant find your boot folder. Make sure you use uppercase for the root boot .DAT file also.

You can make as many boot folders and DAT boot files as you want making sure they all point to there right directorys.

If you get constant reboot and no error message NTLDR then you have not edited setupldr.bin in your boot folder 4 times and replace I386 to PRO1 following the example above.

um....

the editing of the boot sector and setupldr.bin file is clearly stated on the site. ( flyakite.msfnhosting.com ) but most people i've found have used lowercase instead of uppercase. That causes problems.

Also the boot file does not need to be the same name as the boot folder. I have a boot file called XPUN.DAT and the folder it points to PRO1, on one disk and it works just fine. On another XPUN.DAT points to XPUP and still works (don't ask about UP, mistyped and I kept it).

It's a pitty most people don't read or do what they're told to. Or most people won't have the problem. Most of the time, it is because they used lowercase or didn't edit the file properly, missing entries or missing a single letter.