Some basic questions

stimpee

While not a complete newbie to this slipstreaming/XPCREATE XP cd generating lark, i only create a CD about every 3 months or so and this time seem to have forgotten a lot of stuff. Looking at my dormant XPCREATE folder hasnt helped much and I havent found the info i need with the search button... What I've basically done so far is use Jono's tool to download all the hotfixes, then freshly re-installed XPCREATE and moved the fixes to the folders (No XP cd files copied yet).

1. The SATA thread didnt answer this so I'll ask here: Ive got an Intel 82801ER chipset (Asus P4P800) and I've downloaded the Intel® Application Accelerator RAID Edition [iAAR353_ENU.EXE]. Now what do I do with it? Do I just whack the exe in the FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\ folder (or $OEM$, $OEM$\$$?) as is or do i need to unpack it? If I unpack it, I'm left with a "Disk 1" folder and the setup.exe and cab files (which dont open). Is this even the right file? There's also a floppy setup that just includes the basic driver but I'd have to make a floppy (it wont unpack otherwise) and then copy the files back to the HD.

2. Other questions (which I should have remembered): XPCREATE seems to have rapidly evolved (folders changed!) and now I'm not sure where to put the Sun Java package (there was a repackaged version available somewhere too - where?). So which folder do I put that in?

3. In a similar vein, where does MDAC_TYP.exe go? (these two files were left over in my old XPCREATE folder).

4. Jono's utility seems to have done the job but there are 5 files in the SVC-HF2 folder and 4 listed on GM's page. Q837009.exe is surplus here. I'm wondering if this is the OE6.0sp1-KB837009-x86-ENU.exe that belongs in SVC-POS (which is currently empty)?

5. One more: I have a reg tweaks .reg file. Where do I put that?

I'm sure these questions have been answered before but the answers are not on GMs site and I couldnt find it here so I apologise if youre repeating yourselves...

EDIT: I found some info on the drivers forum (typical) here and now have the 4 files (cat, inf, sys and oem). This should be part of the problem...

1) Create the diskette. From there you want either the files in the root directory, or a directory named something like WINXP.

2) I don't do Sun Java. If you have a silent installer, it could go in SVC-EXE.

3) MDAC_TYP could go in SVC-DAS, but I don't use it anymore, because it needs an update that I cannot do until reboot. My workaround is to just update the current (2.71) instead of install the new (2.8)

4) You are correct, it goes in SVC-POS, as stated on the Web Site ...

5) 4 out of 5 ain't too bad. And you really should not open yourself up with such questions!

Thanks for the reply GM.

1. Ive got the files i need now and am putting them in FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\ (the files are iastor.sys, iastor.cat, iastor.inf and txtsetup.oem) I hope this works. Dont want to be pressing F6. Am i right in thinking that XPCREATE searches for IASTOR.sys anywhere in the $OEM$

2. Remembered the IEXPRESS method on your page. BTW, the link to the page is wrong on you sidebar (it says iexjave.htm not iexjava.htm) and the text in the document refers the MDAC_TYP not SunJava.

3. In that case, I guess I can live with MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh too as I dont want to do any rebooting either. Does that require repackaging with IEXPRESS and putting in SVC-EXE?

4. Moved the file over to SVC-POS...

5. is there a place for the registry files?

1) That should do it.

2) Forgot about that. I'll have to correct the typos. Unfortunatly, just after I wrote that example, Sun came out with the next version, which uses an MSI installer.

3) Just the listed update in SVC-MDC. It is slipstreamed into the source.

4) OK

5) Somewhere warm where the moon don't shine? I warned you! No, XPCREATE does not process .reg files anymore. Sorry.

thanks for your answers... why do i always leave it so late at night to post replies? Anyway, this new XPCREATE is much easier to use than the last version I used months ago. However, although it created the ISO, it didnt burn it (it said it had). No problem, because i burned later. And yes I did have DOCD=YES in the ini.

now to bed... (02:32am)

However, although it created the ISO, it didnt burn it (it said it had)...

Funny enough....same happens with me.

Can't remember if its just with creating on a CD-RW disc (yes, ERASEDISK=YES and DOCD=YES is in the .ini, plus I've erased the disc first anyway - just in case)

Can't remember if its the same with just blank CD-R's but I usually just make it from the ISO's....never works on the CD-RW's anyway, so it could be the brand maybe or my DVD±RW.

Regards,

N.