How do I make Multi-Boot XP/ME ?

ThA_FiLeR

on thing, have you ever tried to install windows ME using a kind of emulation program like VMWare or virtual pc? Because these emulate almost any OS you want it to emulate and they work flawlessly..

you can see more of what i mean here : http://www.suse.de/en/products/software/vi...creenshots.html

Just thought i'd ask since it would make it a LOT easier  :)

Blackwar

He wants to host a game server, I wouldn't advise doing that in Virtual PC/VMWare.

on thing, have you ever tried to install windows ME using a kind of emulation program like VMWare or virtual pc? Because these emulate almost any OS you want it to emulate and they work flawlessly..

you can see more of what i mean here : http://www.suse.de/en/products/software/vi...creenshots.html

Just thought i'd ask since it would make it a LOT easier  :)

Blackwar

He wants to host a game server, I wouldn't advise doing that in Virtual PC/VMWare.

i think i misunderstood then

i thought he was just going to host this game server once in a while in his regular-use PC..

If he is going to have a seperate PC dedicated just for this game, then yea, what u are doing is right :rolleyes:

Also , before taking any action , did you try to run the server in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode?

Blackwar

i dint think xp will like being the secondary os

There's nothing wrong with that. Many people have done that, and its the standard in dual booting. No side effects in it.

got done installing both os's they boot fine when i change boot sequence in bios but i wanna select them when booting up in thta menu but it aint working. This is what i made my boot.ini look like:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)F:\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows ME" /fastdetect

and its not working, when selecting ME it says that files arent found...

got done installing both os's they boot fine when i change boot sequence in bios but i wanna select them when booting up in thta menu but it aint working. This is what i made my boot.ini look like:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)F:\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows ME" /fastdetect

im not completely sure of this, but in the first entry , you didn't put a drive letter before \Windows and it works, in the second one you have.. i think if you remove the F:\ it will work because the partition(2) entry should take care of figuring out which drive you are telling it to boot to..

i hope i could explain what i mean.., basically remove the F:\ and try again :)

hope this helps,

Blackwar

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

Why did you change the boot sequence in the BIOS? that means it won't read from your boot.ini

I also notice that you have disk(1) partition(1) and disk(0)partition (2).

That means:

partitionwinmewinxp.gif

Thats some strange setup you have there... :)

err.. Windows ME on C:\

then XP on any other partition/drive.

XP should and will set up the boot.ini for you. Don't change anything in the bios, just make first boot device the C:\ Drive.

in my opinion, the boot.ini file for u should look something similar to this, any little error in the boot.ini will cause the files not to be found, so try to be careful on that..

I tried to base this boot config. on the instructions given here

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows ME"

I do this two or three times a month. Follow this link for step-by-step instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...d/multiboot.asp

The links BW gave you are also good links for technical information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q217210

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q306559

The key to all of is that you really should install ME first and XP Last. Otherwise, you run into boot.ini problems as you are experiencing. Don't worry about the boot.ini as WinXP will build a new one for you.

The first link explains it all.