Can cabinet files be used in XPCREATE?

CodeDead

Greets all,

I'm relatively new here, and just recently started working on my first Unattended XP, using XPCreate. It's been an interesting experience. First few attempts were total failures (building in small stages now instead of clumping the whole project together all at once). At times I was somewhat discouraged when I came here (as well a few other forums) to see if others were stumbling as I was (and there were many) and there may have been 4 different answers to the same inquiry. And what worked for one person did not for another. I'd like to compliment the regulars and contributors here. I generally avoid Forums, because of the flaming amongst users. I haven't seen that here, but I HAVE seen a lot of generosity. I hope that good spirit continues. My thanks to everyone.

I'm nearing the completion of this first endeavor, but it ain't over yet! Last two hurdles are the silent install for the ATI Catalyst drivers, and Soundblaster Audigy drivers. On the Windows Update site there is an WHQL.7862074 package for the Audigy, and it comes in cabinet form. I was curious if anyone has tried to integrate this as is (.cab file) or does it have to be extracted and rebuilt as a silent .exe file? If the latter is true, what did you build it with? I don't know if you can do it with directories using Iexpress.

CodeDead

Still in awe! Fully updated customized XP install, totally hands free, 16 minutes! Freakin' AWESOME!!!

I personally haven't had much luck silently installing Creative drivers (though I'm on the verge of attempting a direct slipstream of the drivers through OEMPnPDriversPath in winnt.sif). If it works, I can help you do that.

As for ATI Catalyst drivers, there's again issues with that. Supposedly an ISS file works for that, though. Reference the drivers page at http://unattended.msfn.org for more info on the matter.

I'm really not a drivers expert: I'll leave RyanVM, the Driver Man, to that! As for integrating .CAB files, I don't see how that would work. Once option would be to pack the CAB file with IExpress, as well as a CMD script that extracted the files, and call the script from the IExpress command.

Nobody wants to believe me ... There are many that start with the full kit and kaboudle, only to have it not work, and then go back to the "failsafe" package. An original XP CD, the hotfixes from the Current Hotfixes list, and a blank CD are all you need, and all you should use, in getting started. Once you know you can get one working, the frustration thing is much less pronounced.

As for the attitude ... we try to keep it sane. I sometimes think they put me in my own corner so I would stop picking on the others!

Welcone, CodeDead, to MSFN and XPCREATE. Hope your stay is enjoyable!

:) I'm an expert in drivers now :rolleyes::D.

One of the reasons I like this place so much (apart from the wealth of information contained) is the fact that the majority of the people here have their egos in check. It really does make things better around here (and the moderators do a good job of keeping things in order as well).

If I can actually get the Creative drivers to work, I'll probably start a thread about it in the Drivers forum (and I'll probably let Bashrat know too since he's working on that sound drivers package).

As for ATI Catalyst drivers, there's again issues with that.  Supposedly an ISS file works for that, though.  Reference the drivers page at http://unattended.msfn.org for more info on the matter.

Been there, tried that. Unfortunately no go. I'm thinking about trying something with GuiRunOnce. If successfull, I'll share.

Hi all

One of the reasons I like this place so much (apart from the wealth of information contained) is the fact that the majority of the people here have their egos in check...

Too true :)

I get soo fed up of people that are supposed "experts" but at the end of the day, know virtually nothing (not that I'm saying in any way that I profess to know it all because I freely admit I don't) because of course, how can any 1 person know everything there is to know about IT & Networking....they can't is the simple truth.

Try working in a retailer and see how many people profess to tell you your own job hehe (I've seen it so much and I only help the guy out on a saturday lol).

Anyhow...I shall not rant anymore and its is soo nice to not see that "know-it-all" attitude here :rolleyes:

Lets hope it continues :D

Regards to you all,

N.