hard drive letters

Hi,

As I asked in a previous topic, I wanted to try XP unattended method in order to install windows 2000 Pro. I'm building the cd at this time.

But I have another question:

Can I change the hard driver letter automatically during installation ?

I explain:

I have a new hard drive and I wanted to format c:\drive (autopartition = 0)

and create a second partition.

This second partition will be d:\ when arriving on desktop.

Unfortunately my company wants d:\ drive to be e:\ for DATA and the CD-rom be d:\

-> c:\ : system

d:\ CD-ROM

e:\ DATA

I would like to make a script or something like that to format the second drive (if it is a brand new harddisk drive (a batch file asks the user)), change the drive letter from D:\ to E:\ and copy folders to that drive OR (still the same batch) do nothing and waits the end of the windows installation if it is a used harddisk drive (OS reinstallation) and all this automatically during or after windows installation

Thank you all for you answers :)

I completly understand that your company wants all CDs the same, but naming them all D: is an error, and you would be best off explaining that to those responsible. Due to the way Windows assigns drive letters, you are just asking for trouble, as you are starting to discover ... I always use K: (and possibly L: and M: and N:) for my CD drive(s). Eliminates many, many problems ...

Still, since you seem desperate, I attached the script I use for changing my CD drive letter from <whatever:> to K:. I belive the MOUNTVOL program called can be used similarly for HDDs, Since D: will (possibly) already be in use, you will need to do it in steps (D -> X, E -> D, X -> E).

As for your FORMAT script, that is straight batch coding: ask a question, process the result, and take action depending on the evaluation. Perhaps google for DOS, BATCH, FORMAT, etc. There is nothing special about such a script, but I am not going to write it for you, and the answers about scripting are out there ... sorry.

SETCD.CMD

SETCD.CMD

ok, thank you for your advices. Personaly I also use S: drive letter at home....And I know change harddrive letters causes Problem...

But actually those responsible didn't want to change that.... But I'll try to change that ;-)

Thank you very much GreenMachine

Greenmachine:

Thanks for sharing your work !

I'm happy that I've found a solution to change the cdrom-driveletters, but - as I'm a newbie - at which point of the unattended installation process your script is/has to be/or can be executed ?

Thanks in advance