vmware and 4074

Coco

I was just recently using virtual PC to run longhorn and I did manage to get it working but it ran horribly slow, so now i'm trying vmware cause I heard it was faster.

Anyways, I got vmware running longhorn. It is MUCH faster in vmware. On the downside though I have been unable to get longhorn to install the NIC and have it work when inside VMware. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows hwo to make longhorn use the NIC when using vmware. I'm using vmware 4.5.1 and longhorn 4074.

Cool...so u have already got lh 4074.So...did u try it in your main system? Cuz..I am using VMware 4.0.5.6030 & LH 4053 doesn't f**kin install. It stops at the time when it detects the hardware in installs da drivers.

About the NIC card which you were talking about, go to "Edit Virtual Machine Setings", there you select Bridged Networking. This uses your physical NIC card.

Hope it works.

I am using bridged right now and i'm not having much luck.

When i use bridged does htat mean I install the real NIC's drivers? or the emulated drivers?

As for getting it going in vmware, well it went in just fine for me. It has a minor issue with resetting. Every time it resets when it tries to do something you get some really long error message from vmware which isn't in english. :)

Of course if you just power it down and back on it will load up again just fine. So it's not really a problem. Just never reset. Always do a full power down and then turn it back on.

I never did try 4053 in vmware, but I have a feeling if you updated vmware to version 4.5 instead of 4.0 you might have more luck.

If I remember correctly, the type of networking that you setup for your VM refers to how the virtual nic will interface with your actual nic. If you're at home using broadband or dial-up the best choice is usually NAT. I was able to get 4074 running in VMware 4.5.1 and I had no problems getting internet access.

I'd try installing the VMware tools again.

What driver is the NIC using in 4074 for you? Because for me it says there is a conflict but longhorn doesn't expand. It just says conflict. Doesn't even say if it's an IRQ port or anything.

Did VMware require any special settings besides selecting NAT for you to get it to work?

Have you tried using version 4.5.1 of VM ware instead of 4.0? Because I've never had a problem with it in 4.5 so I'm sort of assming your problems were resolved in the newer version.

Edit: I just checked vmware official site even says they fixed that problem in 4.5. You need to upgrade.