How to have Centrino pick up any Wi-Fi network?

HyDeNCiTy

How can I have my boss' laptop pick up any Wi-Fi connection? Right now he has his machine set to pick up his connection at home, but when he goes to Starbucks per say, it doesn't pick up their network. Can I just leave the connection properties blank so it picks up any network? Or do I have to do something else. He has an IBM T40 with a Centrino chip, and XP Pro.

Thanx :)

Usually from what I have seen from my guests (I am a Network Administrator at a hotel) is that they just set up a profile called "any". They usually connect effortlessly to my WiFi Guest Network.

The SSID/Broadcast ID is set to- any

and the wep is not activated.

If the place is encrypted, he/she/it will have to ask what the encryption is and set it themselves.

Create and Print a simple cheat sheet for him/her/it for their travels. I have to do this for my Executives and they always thank me for it.

Yeah, NetStumbler works EXTREMELY well... Mike-C beat me to it! :)

However, if the SSID is not being broadcasted, NetStumbler will NOT pick it up and you will not be able to connect to it. This program only picks up Wi-Fi networks and does not connect to them.

Overall, this program is great. I have it installed on my laptop and use it whenever I am on the road. However, I must say, there are many people who do not have WEP setup I would have been able to connect to any one of the networks I detected. Approximately 66% of all Wi-Fi networks found are unencrypted. :rolleyes: