how to write a program to...

Guys & Gals :D

This is my first post on this forum. My friend told me that this sharordie forum had help a lot of peope solving technical problems.

Therefore, I would like to see if this is true. :D

MY company has 100s workstations spreading out in different rooms. They're all have either WindowsNT4.0/2000/xp operating system. They're all connected to network.

One night, a network administrator tell me to go out to check all the workstations and make sure they are turned on. The reason for that is they need to update the virus scan using the software distribution package to push the dat files to all workstations. Well, I admitted that I'm kind of a lazy type person. I asked him to give me the list of workstations that are not turned on, instead of to check each individual ones. Then, he replies, "NO" :rolleyes:

Can anyone show me how to make sure all the workstations are turned on?/

I'm thinking of a batch file... to ping all the workstations and print me the ones that failed. but don't know how to write one. :)

Thanks,

sj102399

for /l %%i in (0,1,254) do echo 192.168.0.%%i >> mac.txt && getmac /s 130.144.176.%%i /NH /FO csv >> Mac.txt

this is for getting the MAC-adresses for all computers that are on,

i think this does also wat you need, else it is easy to change to a ping (try "| find")

you can also lay this against a AD dump to see the computers that are not running

gr /\/\o\/\/