[ALREADY SOLVED] New Moon 28.10 on Windows 98 SE

Posted (edited)

I need help running New Moon 28.10 by RoyTam1 on Windows 98 SE.

Tried using the guide (Firefox 24 / 52 on Windows 98) but got stuck on one part:

4. Alter platform version with a HexEditor:

PaleMoon.exe version 4.8.3 -> 4.8.2
or
Xul.dll 4.8.2 -> 4.8.3

First of all, where is the platform version located on both files? (hexadecimal string)

Second of all, I need a HEX editor that works on Windows XP (and thus means maybe can run on kernelex with updates) or 98.

Either way, I'd love to see it (and browsers like Roytam1's Arctic Fox, or a Chromium based browser) run on a fully patched Windows 98 SE copy.

Edited by Iceburg
Solved problem

Posted (edited)

I usually use Hex-Editor MX 6.0.2.244 (NEXT-Soft) on ME and XP. Of course, there are others. The trick with the "Mypal engine" https://msfn.org/board/topic/181424-firefox-24-52-for-me-and-98/?do=findComment&comment=1210661 is no longer necessary and I don't recommend it either. Better replace RaiseException with GetLastError in MOZJS.DLL, what is described here https://msfn.org/board/topic/181424-firefox-24-52-for-me-and-98/?do=findComment&comment=1251487. Run the Editor -> open mozjs.dll -> Menu -> Search -> Search and Replace -> Text -> paste RaiseException ...

Edited by schwups

Does Firefox 52.9 run on your system? Newmoon has the requirements of 52.9, too. And make sure, that you have set KernelEx compatibility mode XPSP3 or Win7 on palemoon.exe.

Posted (edited)

I have ran Firefox 52.9 and Mypal on this 98 VM before

I have set compatiblity mode (xp sp3) on palemoon.exe

Edited by Iceburg

Posted (edited)

Then you meet the requirements.

(- Kext ( Kstub824.dll + ini file Kstub824.7z ) - usage see Kext topic

- reg file: APISets Stub dll's Knowndlls.txt ...

- Remove all entries "api-ms-win-......dll" from dependentlibs.list

- The UCRTBASE.DLL ...)

Then something may have gone wrong with the replace of RaiseEception. You also can try manually the replace. Changed area marked:

GetLastError.png.3d4b95dafa2a44fe70c224896014cbf3.png

Don't forget to save the change to GetLastError.

Make sure that Xul.dll doesn't run with compatibility mode Windows2000SP4 => Xul.dll -> XPSP3 or higher

Forgotten entries "api-ms-win-......dll" in dependentlibs.list also leads to "Couldn't load XPCOM" error. Unless you have a set of APISet Stub DLL's, that is loadable on ME/98 like the one of OneCoreApi. And some time ago I found a Wine5 set out there.

Edited by schwups

Sorry for waiting so long but I actually got past "Couldn't load XPCOM."

I get an error "The application was updated, but the SQLite library wasn't updated properly and the application cannot launch. Please try to launch the application again."

followed by illegal operation 03h on xul.dll

VirtualBox_Windows 98 SE - 50th g time_06_05_2024_18_26_58.png

I got it working. The GetLastError method wasn't working for me. Had to stick to the Mypal method.

Replacing 4.8.2 with 4.6.0 gave the sqlite error.

but copying:

- gkmedias.dll

-omni.ja

-mozsqlite3.dll

-xul.dll

-mozglue.dll

from Mypal worked for me.

• Iceburg changed the title to [ALREADY SOLVED] New Moon 28.10 on Windows 98 SE
Posted (edited)

I've taken a look at your screenshot.  I have hardly tested all the dll's inside the program folder (it is a different approach), but Ucrtbase must in the system folder. Such files ATL and certcli aren't required and used here - therefore superfluous. And pdh and userenv are superfluous. too. These are part of KernelEx.

"Mypal engine trick": I probably never tested 4.8.2 with 4.6.0. To clarify, it's basically Mypal with the look of Newmoon. Mypal 29.3 will soon be three years old and now it has significantly more infirmities than Newmoon or Serpent.

Edited by schwups