KernelEx with ProgramData folder and User Profiles?

awkduck

On 1/11/2024 at 11:01 PM, awkduck said:

I've extracted it from both [internet] explorer versions (5.5 and 6.0).

Don't extract, install! You need other supporting files as well.

9 hours ago, jumper said:

Don't extract, install! You need other supporting files as well.

This is good advice. But I don't actually want IE at all (it has been removed from the system). Just the files needed, to satisfy system and application dependencies. That is why I extracted the needed files. However, to concur with jumper, most people should probably always install.

2 hours ago, jumper said:

The combination of things you want might not be possible. So install IE5.5, test, then try "removing" it and testing again.

I have to apologize, jumper. On my part, the thread has become a little muddy.

loblo was correct. The orphaned folder should have still been accessible (and was), to the application that created it. It just didn't appear to me that it was. I made a poor assumption, about why the application could not insert the key into the setting file (stored in the orphaned folder), or read the key from it.

I used the WinME SHELL32.DLL and SHLWAPI.DLL (and a handful of other files) to test, if the folder "being created/accessed correctly" would solve the issue. But that was just a temporary experiment. I tested on WinME first, and the folder was not orphaned; but I couldn't get the application to run (no test of key file functionality). The application not being able to run, was probably just a problem of me having no real experience using/updating WinME with KernelEx (the Working KernelEx settings from Win98FE were not enough). I'm pretty sure the ME install was completely original, with no system updates.

I didn't really want to update WinME, for this simple test. So, the WinME files where used, on Win98FE, to test what I could not test on WinME. The issue is the application failing to process the key, in or out of the setting file, even while having access to the proper CSIDL (provided by ME files). I didn't have an issue with the fact that ME files would be unstable, on Win98FE. I knew this from having played with Win98SE files, on Win98FE. I just needed the CSIDL functionality long enough, to see if it fixed the problem. It did fix the orphaned folder issue, but not the overall issue.

While it would be nice to have extended CSIDL support, I can handle not having it. Again, I just wrongly assumed the missing CSIDL was the cause of the issue.

Also, if I've misunderstood something, as I sometimes do, I'd gladly eat some words.