"INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error after installing on NVMe SSD in Windows 8.1

johnelmer227

On 12/8/2023 at 6:04 AM, Jakob99 said:

IntelPEP.sys must be deleted, otherwise the BSOD will keep happening. Updating the OS will cause the file, and thus, the BSOD to return, but it can be fixed again by simply deleting the file again. The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD that you are getting could be the result of the drive mode. Most newer Intel laptop's default to VMD mode, which is only compatible with Windows 10 and 11. You will need to pop open the BIOS and switch it from VMD to SATA mode. This will fix the BSOD, although, how you got 8.1 to detect and install to the drive (if it's set to VMD mode), I do not know. Maybe it's not set to VMD mode. Who knows.

Yes i did but however VMD doesn't exist in BIOS it only has Intel VTX and VTD idk what are those about

On 12/8/2023 at 12:18 PM, D.Draker said:

I read it could be due to the newer BIOS version. Earlier ones could do just fine with the trick, those newly updated versions of BIOS, no. If all fails, maybe try to rollback the BIOS to an older one. Only do that if you're sure you know how to work with BIOS flashing

It was boot fine since HDD but SSD can't boot it was shows blue screen. I never updated BIOS yet just used a kinda old BIOS

On 12/9/2023 at 8:33 AM, sonyu said:

@Jakob99

boot to w10

download Phison NVMe driver v1.5.0.0 (usually not necessary on anything <8.1) 

format  w8.1 partition

install 8.1  using WinNTSetup and select driver folder

rename intelpep and intelppm both .inf and .sys before reboot (can be found on c:\Windows\INF\  and c:\Windows\System32\Drivers)

something similar happened to me with Windows 10 beta versions (pre-RTM) and I ended always installing using WinNTSetup 

__

I just remembered that I deleted the inf and drivers folders and replaced them with the ones from boot.wim and tried copying files from install.wim just to finally discover intelppm and intelpep causes BSODs back in the day

So, if you can boot to Windows PE 6.3, try SHIFT + 10 and run notepad then check if you can see your SSD, if isn't there search HWID and driver and try with WinNTSetup

This way you'll know if it's a driver problem

If you have installed your Windows using the live usb method e.g. rufus, ventoy... the OS boots to your hardware

That's interesting. Probably in HDD was boot fine when back day in Windows 7 with modified with SSD was booted but 8.1 can't... Not tested in 8 yet

12 hours ago, johnelmer227 said:

Yes i did but however VMD doesn't exist in BIOS it only has Intel VTX and VTD idk what are those about

Virtualization features. You need these enabled to use VirtualBox or VMWare.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:13 AM, Jakob99 said:

Virtualization features. You need these enabled to use VirtualBox or VMWare.

Oh yeah i already know that since!

But i'm still no fix about of SSD support of Windows 8.1 for now. Just stuck here in Windows 11 but my HDD was backup purposes!