Permissions to USER Accounts

HyDeNCiTy

How can I give administrative rights to someone who's account is not an admin, but a User. I wanna control what a User has admin rights to and what not... Anyone?? I am on a network with a Domain controller and no Group Policies... So I want to do it from the PC itself. I want to do it on both XP and 2000. Thanx guys.

I'm doing it from a workstation logged in as a particular user who only has USER rights to the machine. But I want to grant Admin permissions to that user for that machine, which is the machine that they use everyday. They should not have permissions to certain programs and folders, but full for other programs and folders. Yes I can log into the machine with Admin rights cause I am the admin. ALso this user has already been assigned USER priviliges.

The EASIEST way would be to do this from your workstation, assuming you are running win2k or xp.

Right click My Computer and select Manage

Right click Computer Management (Local), and choose Connect to another Computer...(or Connect to remote registry if you are running win2k)

Enter the name of the users workstation

Open Local users and Groups

Click on Groups, then open Administrators

Click [Add], and join the user to the admin group.

This will make the user an admin to that machine only.

I don't think u understood right.. what I wanna do is to give Tamara (for example) which is part of the USERS group on a machine, Admin rights to certain folders, not the whole machine. This person had to have Admin rights for certain programs and they fail to load or to run because she does not have rights to them. so what I wanna do is to give Tamara Admin rights so those programs can run properly. Or is there another way to do it, because some programs that I have installed on that machine do not run properly and they need to. Pls. Adv.

Thanx

If you know what files the programs she is using need to acces, just log in as someone with admin rights, right click on the folders/files she needs access to, go to security, and give her read/execute/modify or whatever rights she needs on those files. Sorry its been a while since I've used W2K, but I know its something like that.

have you tried elevating her to the power user group.. gives more freedom in running programs, but still doesn't go as high as admin.

The problem is, some programs REQUIRE admin rights because they write to files and folders located in the Windows directory that are protected. Macromedia Dreamweaver MX is one prime example. It HAS to be run as admin to work.

Files and directories arn't the only things that can be controlled with user permissions. Certain areas of the registry are also accessed according to the logged on users rights.

So if you're having an application fail and complains about NTFS file permissions, giving her permission to read/write that particular folder (i.e. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) won't necessarly solve the problem. There's probably a registry key that she won't be able to modify/read.

This type of problem usually happens from a poorly written application. Although there are some applications that genuinely require admin rights (i.e. Ghost, WindowsUpdate, Etc).

Is this emulator cvalled Tiny Term.... U guys probably never heard bout it.. It's by a company called Century. Also this other program called Vr Link... The proggies r running fine, just certain aspects of them won't run properly. is there a way that I can assign her higher permissions just not allow her to install stuff??