Windows XP SP1 RIS install

I am currently using RIS on a Windows 2k server to deploy both 2k & XP. I am using the $OEM$ file structure and cmdlines.txt to installl hotfixes.

I have read differing opinions of svcpack.in & cmdlines.txt, which leads to my 3 questions.

1. What is the difference between svcpack.inf & cmdlines.txt & which should I use in this environment?

2. If svcpack.inf is the way to go, how do I use it? I have added all of the hotfixes (which are in 8.3 name format), into the file, and updated dosnet.inf, but the install skips right over everything. Am I missing something?

3. When using RIS to install the OS for XP SP1 it takes over 2 hours to complete an install. At the 12 minutes mark it basically takes over an hour to complete. Any reason for this? It seems to install fine with the ristndrd.sif file, but Im unsure what the problem is, in my custom .sif file.

BTW: Windows 2000 works very well in this configuration, and installs from start to finish in about 45 minutes including office.

Thanks for the help!

I actually have no clue about RIS, but with your other questions i can help a bit i guess:

you don't have to change dosnet.inf to install the service packs?!? only if you are slipstreaming the rollup update i believe...

all you do, make a subfolder under I386 Directory, call it SvcPack or Updates or YoMomma etc...

then, make sure all your hotfixes are in that folder.... also, if you are unsure of any of the commands in my example (like mdac.cmd) i suggest you read the MSFN unattended xp guide :)

the difference between cmdlines.txt and svcpack.inf is basically nothing.... apparently cmdlines.txt is supposed to be a tad faster but i cannot find it to be faster myself....

in fact, the quickest way to install the service packs is to use RunOnce commands to install them (run a batch file from cmdlines.txt that uses REG to install RunOnce commands to install each update seperately, it will have the benefit of enahnced filesystem and interface support provided by the host OS drivers etc)

Still, I am using svcpack.inf with absolutely no dramas... here is an example svcpack.inf that installs every critical update for XP so far:

svcpack.inf

[Version]Signature="$Windows NT$"MajorVersion=5MinorVersion=1BuildNumber=2600
[setupData]CatalogSubDir="\I386\SvcPack"
[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
[setupHotfixesToRun]q330994.exe /Q:A /R:Njs56nen.exe /Q:A /R:Nmdac.cmdq823182.exe /Q /O /N /Zq824105.exe /Q /O /N /Zq824141.exe /Q /O /N /Zq825119.exe /Q /O /N /Zq826939.exe /Q /O /N /Zq828028.exe /Q /O /N /Zq828035.exe /Q /O /N /Zq828741.exe /Q /O /N /Zq831167.exe /Q:A /R:Nq832894.exe /Q:A /R:Nq835732.exe /Q /O /N /Zq837001.exe /Q /O /N /Zq837009.exe /Q:A /R:NWMP9MM2.exeq828026.exe /Q /O /N /Zqchain.exeDX9NTopk.exe

mind you, this is for WinXP, you will have to slightly change yours to fit Win2K syntax and version numbers etc... the actual install commands won't change though

Cpl of differences I know of: :)

1 is that you won't see what svpack.inf is actually doing

2nd is that they run about a minute apart :rolleyes:

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/batch_commands.htm

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/timeline.htm

personally i chucked them into RunOnceEx (loading from cmdlines.txt) so that i can see what svcpacks are being installed and if they fail or not. :D

I appreciate the repsonses, and have realized that there really isnt much of a difference in speed between the two methods. I finally got the svcpack.inf method to work by changing the svc pack names to an 8.3 file name.

One of my quesitons was; why it took so long at the 12 or 13 minute mark to complete the install. It could take well over an hour to get through this part, and I dont have all that many patched to install. This question didnt really get addressed, and that may be becasue Im using RIS.

I did find something out however. It appears that if I install a machine without the "OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH" entry in the winnt.sof file, the installation cruises without any problems, and is done in about 30 minutes. Does anyone know why this would be causing such a problem? I have included my winnt.sif file to take a look at.

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = Yes

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

OEMPnPDriversPath = "Drivers\C640ATI7500M.vid;Drivers\3c920.nic;Drivers\C640Crystal.aud;Drivers\C640IntelICH3M.chp;Drivers\C640PcTel.mdm;Drivers\C640Synaptics.mse"

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

[userData]

FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"

OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"

ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%

ProductID =

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OemSkipRegional = 1

TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%

AdminPassword = "*"

AutoLogon = Yes

AutoLogonCount = 1

[GuiRunOnce]

C:\Windows\Setup\SetupXPNote.exe

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 24

XResolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

VRefresh = 75

[Components]

chat = OFF

clipbook = OFF

dialer = OFF

hypertrm = OFF

objectpkg = OFF

rec = OFF

iis_common = OFF

iis_inetmgr = OFF

iis_www = OFF

iis_ftp = OFF

iis_htmla = OFF

iis_doc = OFF

iis_pwmgr = OFF

iis_nntp = OFF

iis_nntp_docs = OFF

iis_smtp = OFF

iis_smtp_docs = OFF

iisdbg = OFF

fp_extensions = OFF

msnexplr = OFF

netcis = OFF

netcm = OFF

netcps = OFF

OEAccess = OFF

[Networking]

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[identification]

JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%

DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = Yes

UseWholeDisk = Yes

[OSChooser]

Description ="C640 Latitude Custom Windows XP Professional SP1"

Help ="Automatically installs Windows XP Professional SP1 without prompting the user for input."

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType =Flat

Version="5.1"