Office 2010 in Windows 2000 ?

11 hours ago, windows2 said:

i will download and try it , did you try it ?

I was unable to find the file. That specific beta version appears to be lost in time, there's nowhere that thing can be downloaded from.

Some "portable" versions of Office 2010 I found from the internet appears to be based on that version too (and they run on 2K; some had embedded malware?), but I can't find the installer. Torrent file is long dead and even BetaArchive doesn't have that version, they have a slightly older beta (you can search BA's database without account) but I tried downloading it, it's about 3GB but it takes more than 20 hours to download using my internet..

It would be very nice to find someone who has that file, or get the RTM / SP1 version of Office 2010 working instead (This would likely be better but I don't know how hard that would be..)

Edited by hexagonwin

For anyone interested, I found this guide for making Office 2010 portable using Vmware Thinapp. It seems to be quite an involved process though:

https://www.b4z.co.uk/vmware-thinapp-microsoft-office-2010-setup-guide.html

Since Thinapp is a paid application, there’s an alternative called Evalaze. (Though I’ve read in some places that the free version doesn’t work with Office 2010) The website is no longer available, but thankfully the Wayback Machine has a few copies saved:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150206042614/http://www.evalaze.de/Evalaze/Download/

Alternatively, someone could try to install Office 2010 in Windows XP and then move the files and registry entries to the Windows 2000 installation, though this might really difficult to pull of. I recall reading about a program called TrackWinstall, that analyzes system changes before and after the installation of a program, so maybe something like this could be useful for this purpose.

I think it’s amazing to see this portable copy of Office 2010 running in Windows 2000, but personally, I'd prefer to get the RTM build working as well.

@hexagonwin @supertuxisthebest thanks for these ideas , I'm thinking to using RegShot to monitor changes to the registry during the Office 2010 installation process in Windows XP and then if blackwingcat not succeed in resolve the installer from API , i will start create new installer comapatible with Windows 2000 depending in this idea but not now when i have the time maybe in the summer . 

i hope blackwingcat will succeed to resolve the problem of original installer with Windows 2000 it will be better .

Edited by windows2

• 5 months later...

With my project on NT4, I spent most of the summer of this year attempting to create a program that would add registry entries from the results of the RegShot program. Despite not being an expert in C++, I managed to accomplish this through research and experimentation. While it still requires some modifications, it serves as a solid starting point.

This program primarily operates by extracting the keys to be added from a .txt file, which is generated by comparing the registry before and after installing software, such as Office 2010, on Windows XP. Later, I adapted it for use on Windows 2000. Unfortunately, Windows 2000 presents a significant challenge as it lacks two critical SIDs: S-1-5-19 (NT Authority - LocalService) and S-1-5-20 (Network Service).

Even if I wanted to install Office using my program on Windows 2000, it cannot add the necessary keys for these two missing services. If S-1-5-19 and S-1-5-20 were added to Windows 2000, even the original installer would function correctly. ReactOS faced a similar issue in older versions, which has since been resolved.

The only solution to this problem is the imperative need to add both of these mentioned services, which requires a complex modification not easily achievable in Windows 2000. We hope that Blackwingcat succeeds in this endeavor. Our collective hopes rely on him, and we must support him in tackling such a hard task.

If anyone wishes to obtain the source code of my program to improve it, please post your request here. 

Sans_titre.png

txt.png

The improvement should affect my program because there are issues with handling multiple lines of data values, as they are not properly organized in .txt file during execution. You can find 'EFBE' as an example. If there are unexpected spaces or if spaces do not exist in return to the next line as expected.

ERR.png

Edited by windows2