[SOLVED] Can't run any bootable installer after getting BSOD from Vista with SDIO (Driver issue)

CommanderKeen

Hi, a few hours ago I've installed a Vista ISO with the Extended Kernel included, after installation I've ran SDIO to install some missing drivers on my ASUS Sabertooth Z77, everything seemed fine until after I restarted it, this showed up. https://imgur.com/a/f0eezvp

It rebooted a couple times into this BSOD and eventually it would start freezing up on the Microsoft Corporation loading screen.

I thought okay, I just need to install the drivers from the Motherboard website and it should be fine, but I've tried the Vista USB, 10 USB, 7 USB and even a Linux distro but none seem to boot, just freeze into either ''Starting Windows'' or the loading bar with 10, but never into the installation screen ever.

I have unplugged the SSD and HDD but to no result, formatting it on my current 7 system and putting it back in, still same issue...

Is my motherboard broken or is there something else wrong that I'm not seeing? This is a system I received today from someone that I bought it from and it came shipped with Windows 8, worked great there and no issues at all, besides some undervolting I had to do with the CPU to keep the temps right but that's it.

I really would appreciate any help as I don't know what else to do and I even tried the Blu Ray drive...

Edited by CommanderKeen

21 hours ago, CommanderKeen said:

I've ran SDIO

don't
if you take the time to mod and use such an old OS you might as well allocate some time to manually install the drivers

21 hours ago, CommanderKeen said:

some undervolting I had to do with the CPU to keep the temps right

this could be an explanation, the cpu just doesn't get the required voltage and craps itself (maybe check the cpu cooler? to see if it's mounted correctly and check if there is thermal paste)
it's worth running a stress test if you can - OCCT is a good tool for that and can run on windows vista with ex kernel (haven't tested on a vanilla install so it might work on that too)

2 hours ago, winvispixp said:

don't
if you take the time to mod and use such an old OS you might as well allocate some time to manually install the drivers

this could be an explanation, the cpu just doesn't get the required voltage and craps itself (maybe check the cpu cooler? to see if it's mounted correctly and check if there is thermal paste)
it's worth running a stress test if you can - OCCT is a good tool for that and can run on windows vista with ex kernel (haven't tested on a vanilla install so it might work on that too)

Yeah honestly, I'm not too sure. Updating the BIOS completely erased the issue, but yeah this System had Windows 8 Professional originally, but I noticed the temps were 85-100 on idle, it's a Corsair H80 cooler so it's definitely because of its age (10 years) I plan on upgrading the cooler very soon, I just undervolted it to get good temps in the meantime, which became 38-45 on Vista now, although running Prime95 launched it up to 85c. I don't remember quite how much I UV but it wasn't too bad so it couldn't be the Motherboard/CPU's fault, the drivers I installed from SDIO just f*cked my system but I installed some official ones and everything is fine so far...

16 hours ago, CommanderKeen said:

Corsair H80 cooler so it's definitely because of its age (10 years)

you might be dealing with pump failure, so changing that to something new should be a priority (you can get an air cooler like the noctua nh d14 or 15 or even a coolermaster V8, the original one, that's what I use on an OC'ed QX9650 to 4Ghz and the max I saw was 87C while running the linpack "test" from OCCT which is pushing even harder than prime95)

• CommanderKeen changed the title to [SOLVED] Can't run any bootable installer after getting BSOD from Vista with SDIO (Driver issue)