Mesa 17.x.x on Win9x

WhiteArmpits

@WhiteArmpits There are some "OpenGL" environment variables you could try.

For a test, you could try "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=TRUE".

You could check the OpenGL version supported by your GPU, then try "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1". 2.1 could be set to whatever versions your GPU supports.

I know using the VBEMP Vesa driver, I've needed to set environmental variables for SDL1.2 video and audio output/rendering. Otherwise some SDL applications/games run poorly. This is more true if your audio driver doesn't support accelerated Directsound (some AC97 drivers). So maybe you can tweak OpenGL to play along.

You would open a Command Prompt, in the folder of the OpenGL application you are testing, and type something like:

SET MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1

Then from that same Command Prompt enter the command to initiate your OpenGL application (Minecraft).

Minecraft may also have environmental variables, that could be set. It might not be a bad idea to check that out; especially if there is something to set comparability with older OpenGL versions.

9 minutes ago, awkduck said:

@WhiteArmpits There are some "OpenGL" environment variables you could try.

For a test, you could try "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=TRUE".

You could check the OpenGL version supported by your GPU, then try "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1". 2.1 could be set to whatever versions your GPU supports.

I know using the VBEMP Vesa driver, I've needed to set environmental variables for SDL1.2 video and audio output/rendering. Otherwise some SDL applications/games run poorly. This is more true if your audio driver doesn't support accelerated Directsound (some AC97 drivers). So maybe you can tweak OpenGL to play along.

You would open a Command Prompt, in the folder of the OpenGL application you are testing, and type something like:

Then from that same Command Prompt enter the command to initiate your OpenGL application (Minecraft).

Minecraft may also have environmental variables, that could be set. It might not be a bad idea to check that out; especially if there is something to set comparability with older OpenGL versions.

Thanks, i'll try later!

I'm sorry to hear that. My T42 just stopped turning on one day. It always ran a little hotter, then I thought it should. I blamed the GPU. I still keep it around. Donated the memory to a T40 (post Win9x Intel GPU), I had to buy in a mixed Ebay lot.

I hope you find something good.

1 hour ago, awkduck said:

I'm sorry to hear that. My T42 just stopped turning on one day. It always ran a little hotter, then I thought it should. I blamed the GPU. I still keep it around. Donated the memory to a T40 (post Win9x Intel GPU), I had to buy in a mixed Ebay lot.

I hope you find something good.

Thanks awkduck, I hope I will find a T41p or T42p someday, those two are the ideal 98SE ThinkPads for me, I will let you know if that day will ever arrive :)