solve while initializing device configmgr: Windows protection error. You need to resart your computer

GUS

Can you provide more information on the hardware used?

This has happened to me, but it was an issue related to the harddrive controller.

Did this happen after/during a fresh install? Or after using the system successfully for a time?

Perhaps if you have a good bios you could set it for ATA compatibility.

yes
Motherboard:BIOSTAR H61MGV
Processor:Intel(R) Pentium(R) G2030 CPU at 3.00GHz
ok, I will explain that I use this windows on another computer but I have never had any problems when I change computers until now.

You can run scandisk from Dos.

During boot, press the "F8" key and select "Command Prompt Only".

Then type:

SCANDISK

Have you set (P)ATA compatibility in BIOS? Or have you already installed a SATA driver?

Beyond this, you might wait around for another person's suggestion.

But for me, I usually delete all devices out of "Device Manager", to eliminate any possibility of an issue there.

You can back-up your registry first. That way you can restore it later, and still use this Windows in the old computer.

Again, from the "Command Prompt Only"

Change directory to "C:\WINDOWS", if already not there. Then do the following:

attrib user.dat -r -a -s -h

attrib system.dat -r -a -s -h

copy user.dat user.bak

copy system.dat system.bak

If you need to restore the old registry:

attrib user.dat -r -a -s -h

attrib system.dat -r -a -s -h

del user.dat

del system.dat

copy user.bak user.dat

copy system.bak system.dat

Delete "C:\BOOTLOG.TXT" and "BOOTLOG.PRV"

Then delete everything out of "Device Manager", and boot Windows Normally.

If you can run "Regedit", you could instead delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Enum", and restart Windows normally.

Before Rebooting, it might be a good spot to install rloew's SATA patch/driver.

If Windows manages to startup, it should start detecting your hardware. If the machine locks up, it is important to take note of the current device type being detected. Sometimes this doesn't help, as it locks up before listing the device.

If Windows does actually load, but does not detect new devices, you can open "Device Manager" and click the "Refresh" Button.

If Windows does not load, or locks up during device detection, you could examine and post your new "Bootlog". It is not guaranteed to provide the answer. But it might help.

3 hours ago, awkduck said:

You can run scandisk from Dos.

During boot, press the "F8" key and select "Command Prompt Only".

Then type:

Have you set (P)ATA compatibility in BIOS? Or have you already installed a SATA driver?

Beyond this, you might wait around for another person's suggestion.

But for me, I usually delete all devices out of "Device Manager", to eliminate any possibility of an issue there.

You can back-up your registry first. That way you can restore it later, and still use this Windows in the old computer.

Again, from the "Command Prompt Only"

Change directory to "C:\WINDOWS", if already not there. Then do the following:

If you need to restore the old registry:

Delete "C:\BOOTLOG.TXT" and "BOOTLOG.PRV"

Then delete everything out of "Device Manager", and boot Windows Normally.

If you can run "Regedit", you could instead delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Enum", and restart Windows normally.

Before Rebooting, it might be a good spot to install rloew's SATA patch/driver.

If Windows manages to startup, it should start detecting your hardware. If the machine locks up, it is important to take note of the current device type being detected. Sometimes this doesn't help, as it locks up before listing the device.

If Windows does actually load, but does not detect new devices, you can open "Device Manager" and click the "Refresh" Button.

If Windows does not load, or locks up during device detection, you could examine and post your new "Bootlog". It is not guaranteed to provide the answer. But it might help.

it worked!!