Strange issue with wireless keyboard key not working

Molly Dawn

lately the "v" key (and only that key so not weak batteries) on my logitech keyboard stopped registering input in windows. (the key is working as it functions when booting lie USB linux) but on windows it does nothing.  OS is Windows 7 Pro x64, and this is on a FX9350 (temperatures are well within tolerances ) keyboard recieer is attached to a USB2.0 port with legacy usb support enabled, and as I said works fine in linux lie distros.  worked fine in windows until the other day too, and now nothing no v key (copy and pasted that letter) whatsoeer in windows.

Its not a ram issue, as I tested with memtest boot cd, and also tried ram from another win 7 system with a full working keyboard. 
Keyboard is clean and key is functioning it just doesn't register in windows.  Wondering if maybe somehow some windows shortcut or other could accidentally got enabled and caused this, and if theres any way to fix it short of reinstalling windows or rolling back to a backup from before it started acting up.  Maybe some form of accessibility options or something acting up

apologies for grammar atrocities, typing with one key not working is a pain. needing to substitute words without that letter and such makes for bad grammar..

12 hours ago, Molly Dawn said:

... typing with one key not working is a pain

Very inconvenient, and a vast disadvantage, unless you conceive verbose lipograms in v. :w00t:

Have you tried the keyboard (and receiver  ;)) on the other Windows 7 computer?

And viceversa :whistle: tested the other computer (cabled) keyboard on the one where the wireless is missing the v?

Would it be possible that you or some programs remapped the v key to *something else* or plainly "killed" it?

Check the Registry for anything "strange" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout"

https://isenselabs.com/posts/keyboard-key-kills-and-remaps-for-windows-users

I have seen reports of issues where different keyboards/IME are installed, but those should affect c, v and h keys (and possibly also t):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chv-keys-fail-due-to-windows-ime/1dca583f-5b67-4095-bcc4-d1713587e7a2?tab=AllReplies#tabs

In some cases, some fidgeting with the right Windows key may help, if you have installed some version of Office, it seems like in some cases it is the ctfmon[1]:

http://jamesisin.com/a_high-tech_blech/index.php/2008/03/keyboard-input-ignored-for-c-h-t-and-v-keys-in-specific-applications-only/

the above lists a number of possible causes though it seems like it is a rare bug across many Windows versions (at least XP to 10) for which a real cause and unique solution has not been found or documented.

jaclaz

[1] if needed:

https://www.gerhard-schlager.at/en/projects/ctfmonremover/

I hae tested the keyboard and rec. on another windows 7 machine and it has no problem. I also tested the keyboard from a known working system and it has the same issue on this system.
It could possibly be an issue related to MS. office or another program that uses hotkeys, I'll look into that next.  Something is definately remapping the key though as I tried a few different keyboards wired and wireless, and een an older PS/2 type (with a known good usb adapter) and the issue persists, yet the original keyboard has no issues whatsoeer when booting linux lie distros, or when used on another pc for windows 7.   I will check the registry key you listed and check programs for hotkeys that could be affecting it and report back. Thanks :)

Update:  Problem is gone after uninstalling and reinstalling mozilla firefox, and then turning all keyboard helper ease of access stuff on then off again, still not sure exactly what the problem was, but its fixed at any rate.

15 hours ago, Molly Dawn said:

Update:  Problem is gone after uninstalling and reinstalling mozilla firefox, and then turning all keyboard helper ease of access stuff on then off again, still not sure exactly what the problem was, but its fixed at any rate.

That's good to hear.  Does anyone remember the Gateway 2000 programmable keyboard?  It was possible to unintentionally reprogram a key.  You then had to follow the instructions in the manual in order to correct it.