KernelEx, settings storage location?

awkduck

I've been doing a little mucking around with KernelEx. When you change a file's KernelEx properties, it adds two registry entries. Is there somewhere else KernelEx stores file properties? Deleting and re-adding the keys doesn't change the settings displayed in properties. Even after restarting Explorer, the settings persist. If the settings are only located in system.dat, what more must be done to make those changes take?

Obviously, I could just change the properties via the KernelEx interface. I'm just wondering how one would automate changes.

11 hours ago, awkduck said:

Is there somewhere else KernelEx stores file properties?

No.

I'm just wondering how one would automate changes.

You can use wild card entries like *\v2.050727\* or FLASH*.* Apart from that I do not know what you mean by automation.

Even after restarting Explorer, the settings persist.

You need to reboot your machine not just restart explorer when making manual registry changes to KernelEx AppSettings.

9 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

You can use wild card entries like *\v2.050727\* or FLASH*.* Apart from that I do not know what you mean by automation.

When you change an application setting, you do it though the KernelEx properties tab. The setting(s) take immediate affect. The only thing KernelEx seems to be doing, is adding/modifying/removing registry entries.

You can add and remove keys via the reg add/delete command. By "automation" I mean changing those settings on the fly, by using the reg command in a batch file.

9 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

You need to reboot your machine not just restart explorer when making manual registry changes to KernelEx AppSettings.

I make extensive use of portable applications, and the temporary registry values work without a reboot.

So you are saying, KernelEx does not re-examine the registry keys, on application launch. It only examines them on boot and when you make changes via the KernelEx tab. So I need to examine the KernelEx code, find the function for registry settings update/refresh and then create a command line interface for it?

Does that sound right?

15 hours ago, awkduck said:

So you are saying, KernelEx does not re-examine the registry keys, on application launch.

Perhaps because KernelEx relies on a driver then it needs an API to make changes while running. These are good questions and it is beyond me to answer them. The Sheet registration resides in the Classes CLSID and Machine CLSID but I do not know where or what Kexcom resides or does.

15 hours ago, awkduck said:

So I need to examine the KernelEx code, find the function for registry settings update/refresh and then create a command line interface for it?

Yes but this would as it stands involve Sheet.dll and unless there are arguments that can be used in the command line for Sheet then I do not know how you would do it.

Thanks, Goodmaneuver. Sheet.dll will give me a starting point. The good thing is that I'm looking at it the right way now.

7 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Yes but this would as it stands involve Sheet.dll and unless there are arguments that can be used in the command line for Sheet then I do not know how you would do it.

I'll have to look at how things are done. Finding functions that manipulate the "live" database will help. For my use scenario, I probably don't even need to address the registry at all.