Insanely slow USB 3.0 transfer

darxide

Transferring from an external HDD to an internal SSD yields this kind of result:

slow.png.72213e57a5e02a3e3e0a5d0b2897f2f6.png

The speeds range from a few bytes up to around 100 or 150KBps. That's Kilobytes. I Googled around and did most of the copy/paste instructions that were littered everywhere. Attempted to update all USB drivers via the Device Manager. No updates. I then looked for USB drivers from my motherboard manufacturer. No newer drivers there, either. I got Snappy Driver Installer Origin. It found no new USB drivers. So my drivers are fine. I then disabled Windows Defender and speeds now bottom in the single digit KBps, but still only max at 100-150KBps, but tending towards 15ish if I watch it for a minute or two. I'm not asking for the moon. I should expect a 10x faster transfer rate, closer to 100MBps over USB 3.0, but I'd be happy with a dozen MBps. Anything more than a few measly KBps. It's been running for 45 minutes and is only 19% complete. Copying to the external is significantly faster, closer to what I'd expect from USB 3.0. But copying back from it is always like this. I mirrored my entire 1TB HDD (90% full) and 500GB SSD to the drive in an hour and 10 minutes.

Any ideas on what I can do to speed this up? It's pretty ridiculous how slow this is.

Edit: 1 hour later and it's gone from 19% when I posted to 24%. Abysmal.

Edit2: All drives in question are NTFS formatted.

Edited by darxide
More info

USB3 is only an interface, a potential of speed, I have seen usb2 key with write times faster than cheap usb3 keys.

Try the read speed of your usb key with a large file, more than 50meg and report here the result.

Edited by albator
addition