Windows XP - Tablet Edition

Drgnfyre

Has anyone tried using XPCREATE with Windows XP Pro - Tablet Edition? I'm about to give it a shot, but looking for any insight from anyone that's already done this.

Thanks.

and a BIG thanks to GM for creating this very useful program.

For those that care (I noticed 10 whole views) :)

This does work with XPCreate. You need to copy the files from the 2nd CD for it to work right, however.. Just put them one level up (just like they are on the CD).

There is One critical update after doing it this way. Java VM or something like that. I had the KB number but forgot it. I do remember that you could not download it from microsoft's web site, had to do it through Windows Update.

Still, pretty good for an unattended install.

Now if I can just get 2k to work right. :rolleyes:

For those that care (I noticed 10 whole views) :) ...

Hey, I care! However, your topic title was so efficient, there was no need to read the thread.

... Still, pretty good for an unattended install. ...

Damned good, I'd say!

... Now if I can just get 2k to work right. :rolleyes:

What isn't working?

I would be interested in seeing your XPCREATE.LOG files, and getting an exact listing of updates/hotfixes you used.

I was having problems with 2k and the freezing after installing IE6 (would just get stuck at the blue background screen). After reading through some other posts in this forum, I determined it was one of the updates I was using. There was a script to take care of it all, but it involved using the runonceex key and a fair amount of work. I got it working by moving a few files into a hotfix directory, and uisng guirunonce to run the following patches.

Q832483 (mdac)

js56nen.exe

KB837009

Q831167

I had Q330994 in the list, but that one was coming up with a "you don't have OE6 installed" error.. I took it out, and it turned out I didn't even need it. :) I took out js, 837009, and 831167 trying to narrow down the lockup. I'm pretty sure it was the mdac update at this point, but I don't feel like re-building, and then reinstalling with VM.

well.. maybe one more run. :rolleyes:

I think I'll try and put those back in and see how well it works.. will post more details later. If I come up with a completely functioning install, I'll post the updates I have in which directories, and what I resorted to using guirunonce for. :D

Edit - reading the post, one might infer I was actually running all those updates actually FROM the guirunonce key. I actually launch a hotfix.cmd file to launch them one at a time, followed by qchain.

I never bothered posting LOG files as the creation process went perfectly fine, it was only after everything finished installing that the problems started.

• 2 weeks later...
This does work with XPCreate. You need to copy the files from the 2nd CD for it to work right, however.. Just put them one level up (just like they are on the CD).

DrgnFyre-

When you say put them one level up, what do you mean? do they go into one of the XPCREATE folders to be slipstreamed? I have XP pro CD and copied the CMPNENTS files from my Tablet. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't reply much sooner to this - haven't been on the forums in a while.

I use a local copy of my xp cd's as my source. I put the CMPNENTS directory at the same level as my I386 directory. (IE, if I do a dir, I see CMPNENTS, I386, DOCS, SUPPORT, VALUEADD, etc).

I don't know if using a XP Pro CD will do the trick, however. Look at your txtsetup.sif to make sure it references the tabletpc.cab file - I use my XP Tablet CD for both XP Pro and XP Tablet installs - it figures out whether or not to copy the tablet files based on the product key you enter.