batch to ask laptop or desktop

Guest PainCorp

Guest PainCorp

Ok i know this completely undoes the unattended install, but to save space i want to put the install for my laptop and my desktop on the same cd. since some programs i want on my desktop and not my laptop and vis verse i have two batch files, lappy.bat and desk.bat. when the cmdline.txt is run at the T-12 minute mark i want a batch file to ask me which file to load, something like "Are you installing on a laptop or a desktop, (L or D):" and if i enter l it runs the lappy.bat and if i do d it runs desk.bat. this batch files scripting is too advanced for me but any help is appreciated

thanks

pain

That sort of batch file would have been super easy, but on this Windows XP machine I'm on now, it doesn't seem to support the "CHOICE" command, so instead, do what I recommend and GET WPI TO WORK (Windows Post Install)... This is what I use...

I set the defaults to what I want on my main system, but it's easy to change for whatever system, just tick/untick the boxes..

WPI

Guest PainCorp

thanks, thats a nice progam, ill defiently use it to make my installs better, but it just creates the post-setup for you, not letting you chose which one of two you want run

A better way is to create a CDShell menu.

Then follow this guide to include many winnt.sif files on your CD.

I created, like many others, a boot menu wich ask me what to do: Install xp normaly, automatic for laptop, automatic for desktop, partionning, anti-virus, memory scan, and many many others...

Look here for a way to reduce the need of floppy images.

good luck

Guest PainCorp

ok well all of your ideas worked but wouldnt work 100% for what i needed, so i think what im gonna do is make a multi-boot dvd.

thanks again

You can try creating a script that can detect the NIC card manufacturer and call your lappy.bat/desk.bat accordingly without having to prompt you for an input (L/D). It's totally unattended.

Ex. If your laptop NIC card is made by 3COM

For /F "tokens=* delims=:" %%f in ('Echo:^|ipconfig/all^|Find/c "3COM"') do Set Found=%%f

If %Found% GEQ 1 ...call lappy.bat