Internet Explorer .rar

Superi0r

:) I'm using Windows XPSP2 and I seem to have a really annoying problem with IE.. I know there are work arounds to download the file I want but I'm finding it very annoying and want it fixed if anyone knows a work-around method I would be extremely grateful :rolleyes:

http://www.geocities.com/superi0r_asm/strangeproblem.JPG

^^ you may need to open a new window and type that in, I think they're using some anti-leech method.

Oh and just to notify you I think it happens to just about any new file type that I install, I remember it happening to .torrent, also when I use "save as..." , down the bottom automatically, by default has the text "Text document". I'm 99% sure this is the same case for ".Rar" extension... (.zip works just fine as does .exe)... Thanks

I'm having the same problem, mostly with video files. But i noticed that it only happens with certain sites. So if i click a link on one site to view the file WMP opens and plays it fine but if i do it on another i get the same screen he's getting.

i used to get that on msi & txt files

here's what u have to do

real simple

open any folder

go to tools

go to folder options

go to file types

go to the file type u're having problems

so go to rar

click advanced

then check "confirm open after download"

Didn't work for me, I've already tried this method before.. As I said it's a very strange problem, .zip and .exe work. As this is a new IE on SP2 it may have new functionalities with downloading files?

• 2 weeks later...

I have sp2 installed and Im having the same problem with ie opening rar , wmv , torrent files. zips and exe's download fine. I have tried to contact MS about this problem and Im not getting anywhere with them about it. Please someone help !!

Heya , I just fixed the issue I was having. Fire up regedit and do as I did. (start > run > regedit ) This is what I changed :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING]

iexplore.exe

explorer.exe

msimn.exe

(highlight them one at a time and right click and goto modify then change the value data from 1 to 0)

I changed the value data from 1 to 0 on all three of the entries and everything works fine now. Rar,wmv,torrent files all download correctly. YAY !

You all owe me 1 million dollars for fingering this issue out.