XP Help

pimp_gimp

I need some help....my brother is using my other PC at the moment with a copy of XP Professional slipstreamed with service pack 1, and lately has been getting explorer errors whenever he runs a programs, I have no clue what they say because he gets at mad at me saying thats its some type of feature that microsoft put in XP to make it deteriorate over time if its been cracked but this is a copy with a corporate key = no activation, I totally disagree, because even though microsoft addressed the problem with pirated copies in SP1 people still found ways around it. I have a legit copy of XP that I could call microsoft and get a new key for because I cant activate it anymore with the CD key I have since ive upgraded.....but Im thinking just a reformat will do the trick....or search for adware, because it might be adware, but I dont know, any help appreciated, Thanx

yeah, that's best.

Do a re-format/re-install every 3 months at the least.

Remember we 're talking of the most unstable OS on the block.

Whether u r on winXX (i.e., to say any version from 95 to XP) or whether it is legitimate, it still gives the probs you describe.

I've been using XP since it was released and I've never had any problems with it. I have a legal copy though, but I don't think it matters. In my opinion it is the most reliable version of Windows I have ever used. I'm guessing but it's probably being caused by bad drivers or poorly written software, not because of XP. It's also possible that a piece of hardware is at fault. If it's a software problem a clean install should certainly solve it, until you install the offending program again. If it's a hardware issue a clean install isn't going to fix it obviously. Try checking for viruses, adware and crappy programs first. If that doesn't help you might also try running system file checker. If nothing else works a clean install might be your best bet.

I have a legit copy of XP that I could call microsoft and get a new key for because I cant activate it anymore with the CD key I have since ive upgraded

You don't have to get a new CD key when you upgrade; the CD key that comes with your copy stays with it forever. You may have to call them to get it activated but you still use the same key. Also, you are allowed to upgrade a certain amount of components before you have to activate again; you may not even have to call. I've upgraded dozens of times and I've never had to. :)

Thanks guys, I just needed some input...before I go and do this, because Ive never had these types of problems with an OS, especially with XP......but then again theres always a first time for everything, so yeah im probably gonna reformat. and now that you mention that about the CD key above I may try and do that again sometime....but for now the copy that I slipstreamed SP1 into works fine too. msfn's wonderful guides that make life just a little easier