Windows stalling during boot

Ive got my unattended cd all working fine, everything installs perfectly. But whenever windows is loading it sits there for ages (~5mins) when it loads mup.sys.

Anyone come across this before? It doesn't happen when I do an normal attended install of windows

look at the setupapi.log

if it was during first boot, it might be in there.

but when somethign is listed on the screen, that means it's been loaded. Alot of peopel think that means that it is BEING loaded, but it's not.

OOBE usually loads quite abit and then unloads. That's why some peopel opted to remove it.

The setup log just has 2 lines about it being installed nothing else. ill try removing OOBE, I take it theres a guide from either gosh or jdeboeck, the got one for everything else :rolleyes:.

It's really really annoying cos it just sits there for 5 minutes doing nothing :)

I don't think this has anything to do with OOBE. A quick search on google with "long loading mup.sys Windows XP" brings up some links. I only quickly skimmed through a couple and it seems to be a hardware-related issue.

Well OOBD has now been taken out, will try the cd tomorrow. It's late over here :)

I've looked on google and nothing to fix it came up, most people systems where crashing/rebooting hile mine just pauses. It's not a hardware problem either as with a normal install of windows it boots in <1 min

Yup I know all about this issue as I have recently stumbled across it.

Once installed XP fully unattended (all windows updates) then next time I rebooted it hung on mup.sys everytime.

First my machine specs

P4 3gig (hyper threading on) *NOTE

radeon 9800 Pro

IC7 MAX-3

SB live (was in machine at the time)

I played with a few things and installed a few times b4 i got it too work.

I first noticed the mup.sys hang after trying to install my 1st unattended disk which had all critical updates slipstreamed into it.

There was a specific update, (which escapes me now) which i hunted down that people found they were having problems with, so I tried making my unatteneded disk with just the bare SP1 and rollup, which i had success with..

3 things stand out and need to be trouble shooted to find the actual cause

1. P4 Hyperthreading on or off

2. Critical update (I think its just 1, or only when its slipstreamed)

3 Hardware configuration (maybe just an unfortunate mix of hadware)

Im guessing its a combination of these 3

How I solved my Problem.

*Note that I tried 3 other unattended XP install disks, made by 3 different ppl, all working on other computers except mine at this stage.

Scenarios:

1st attempt

Hyper threading on*

unattended (all criticals updates)

1st reboot after installation it hung on mup.sys each time, it would not boot into windows.

2nd attempt

Hyper Theading on*

I remade an uninstalled disk with just SP1 and the security rollup package.

3rd attempt

Hyper Theading off*

I remade an uninstalled disk with just SP1 and the security rollup package.

4th attempt

Hyper Theading off*

Original unattended disk with all updates.

It looks like it could be hyperthreading, but im not certain its just this on its own as I know ppl using HT that never had this problem so im thinking its just a hardware + that 1 update with HT on in my case

I also found that I could bork my install sometimes when turning HT on and off and suddenly after a perfect working install it would hang again at mup.sys

It may be a little diff for you, but if you still get probs PM me and let me kow and maybe we can hunt down the specific problem..

thx

its starting to sound more and more like both of you have kernel errors somehow.

If you have hyperthreading, so ensure that you're using the multiprocessor kernel and not hte uniprocessor. You will get the hang if you do.

I did check this, but you can only check it one or twice within windows b4 it wont boot :)

By default it updates this and when Hyperthreading is changed.

I have only noticed problems from using an unattended install and its only when all the C. updates have been applied.

Ill see if i can hunt down the update that was causing problems for ppl

It is definately hardware specific aswell.

I just want to see want what stubbz hardware is to compare, and if he is using HT on a P4

I also noticed a lot of ppl getting this problem was with USB 2.0 cards aswell

well I have all of the critical Updates slipstreamed and haven't had a problem (atleast all of em upt ill yesterday or whenever that latest were released).....

P4 2.4 ghz HT.

160 gig hd

160 gig hd

200 gig hd

DVD+RW

CD+RW

DVD-ROM

3 gig RAM

RADEON 9700 XT

DFI Mobo

Heres one example of someone fixing the problem from an OEM prespective

and I too tried disabling Mup.sys from the console and it too stopped at the next stage AGP440.sys

But also I must say It is ONLY with an unattended CD i get this, some other PPL i have been reading about get this problem from USB 2.0 and/or critical update

"So a couple of days ago I posted asking if anyone knew of problems with Sysprep and Windows XP. I finally found the problem so I figured I would post this to help other System Engineers that might be stuck. The reason Windows would not boot past loading the initial quasi-DOS drivers was because of the HAL being wrong. At first I was stuck at Mup.sys. (seen in safe mode) Then I added some more drivers to my presys image and I got a little farther. Now it was loading agp440.sys on my laptops, but it was still not getting to Windows. Once I changed my build machine from the "Uniprocessor ACPI" HAL to the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" HAL everything was fine. You would think these two HALs are the same right? Well they aparently are not. Now my image works on laptops as well as desktops. This was one very tough problem to solve. Hopefully my posting will help others that have the same troubles."

Time to try again, HT doesn't effect me because i'm on amd. My sys:

o/c'd 2500XP+

Abit NF7-S

9800 pro

So there's nothing unusual about it.

I'm just using a basic XP with SP1 slipstreamed, no updates or anything. I'm gonna try recreating my i386 directory, leaving out drivers/programs etc and hope I get some where.