RunOnceEx glossing over some apps.

Greetings,

I've read the guide and created my unattended installation DVD. Most everything works just fine. The problem I'm running into is that some entries in the RunOnceEx.cmd file, on reboot (when they actually attempt to install), seem to just get glossed over.

For instance I've not been able to get 3dmark2001se, vmware, or vpc2004 to install. They come up in the itinerary but are only bold/active for a brief moment and then it skips down to the next entries.

At first I thought I had a path problem/typo or a bad switch. However, I can install all of these things from command line silently just fine. This is, obviously, on an existing installation of windows which isn't so helpful in this instance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--gpwolfe

Just for completeness here are the entries from my RunOnceEx.cmd file:

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /VE /D "VMWare workstation 4.5.1 build 7568" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\vmware_workstation_451-7568\vmware451-7568\VMwareWorkstation.msi /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\130 /VE /D "3dmark 2001se build 330" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\130 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\3dmark2001se\setup.exe -s" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\172 /VE /D "Microsoft Virtual PC 2004" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\172 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\microsoftvpc2004\setup.exe /S /v/qn" /f

Oh, and I would like to be able to get 3dmark2003 installed silently as well but I can't seem to manage that even on an already installed xp. here's what I've tried:

REG ADD %KEY%\125 /VE /D "3dmark03 build 340" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\125 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\apps\3dmark2003\3dmark03.exe -s" /f

That seems to be silent, no dialogs/requestors, but nothing is actually installed.

Thanks again.

Execute your batch file with the RunOnceEx entries, then look in the registry. Find out if the output in the registry matches what you used to type out from the Command Prompt.

Thanks for responding. I tried your suggestion and as it happens, yes, the entries are the same as what I would type from the commandline to get the things to install.

I did try a different approach though. I took all these things that haven't been installing, put them into another .cmd script. I added an entry towards the end of the RunOnceEx.cmd that copies this script to the ...\all users\programs\startup folder. Upon booting back up, it runs and these things install fine. At the end it starts a shutdown timer and then deletes itself.

"these things" has to be qualified as everything except the 3dmark bits. I'm thinking that they won't install unless/until the video drivers are installed. That seems to be the deciding factor on whether 01se will install or not. As I said before I have not ever been able to get 03 to install silently.

I tried a few other things like MagicIso, for some reason it didn't like to install from the RunOnceEx method either. It works fine from the startup script though.

At this point, I just want to get this thing finished, I'm ok with this odd method. In fact just for collectiveness I am going to forego installing anything via the RunOnceEx method. I'll just fork a script to copy over this startup script to it's dest and install everything from there. Seems a bit more reliable in general, for me anyway.

It's irritate because I like the nifty itinerary windows puts up when things are done from the registry. Though, in the end, I guess I'll take functionality over form.

--Gary

you are running "3dmark03.exe -s" and it does nothing? did you use "3dmark03.exe -r" first to create your answer file?

You have to do the same for 3dmark01 obviously too... if you have made your answer files and it still doesnt work (clonecd, anyone), perhaps try using AutoIT to create a silent install script...

"%systemdrive%\install\apps\microsoftvpc2004\setup.exe /S /v/qn

should there be a space between /v and /qn?

for vmware, try /qb instead of /qn