Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
m1ck

running out ofhard drive space, but but what are alternatives

i've ran out of hard drive space can i just buy another hard  drive and continue on from there?.

U can use cloning application

copying the data from disk to disk

and then will be able to continue working without any problem

if u have lots of data unrelated to os u can move them to new hdd

and without cloning continue using the old hdd

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the quick reply  any suggestions,i  should be ok i have 5tb of space.thanks again. btw oops i just noticed i'm from uk not afghanistan.

thought i'd better mention that.

Edited by m1ck

500gb - 1tb is for os cos they are more reliable

2tb and up should be mostly for data

go with the mainstream, best space for the money ratio

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, aviv00 said:

500gb - 1tb is for os cos they are more reliable

2tb and up should be mostly for data

go with the mainstream, best space for the money ratio sorry my bad]

but what do you mean by a cloning app?.

Sorry but could you be a little bit more specific as this all new to me.:) thank you

Edited by m1ck

9 hours ago, m1ck said:

Sorry but could you be a little bit more specific as this all new to me.:) thank you

In a nutshell:

1) when you go for a multi-disk system it makes sense to "divide" all the stuff "logically", moving all the (large) "stored data" (such as - as an example - music, video, movies, etc. to a separate disk), keeping only the OS and the installed programs on the "main" disk.
2) A Windows (10) OS actually *needs* only something like 50-100 GB for the actual System and base programs, anything bigger is not strictly needed
3) of course it depends on the actual use, but the rule of the thumb is "the fast the OS storage system is, the better", nowadays it would make more sense to buy a SSD and use it for the OS and use the hard disk(s) for data storage, if I were you I would buy a 240 GB SSD, have the OS transferred to it, then use the "old" hard disk only for data and (optionally) add 1 or more hard disks also for data only, but if you are OK with the current disk, leave it alone and just get some external disk drive.

The 500GB/1TB range of disks is - generally speaking - more tested, have a lesser "density" and thus are at the moment more reliable than larger disks, again as a rule of thumb the larger the hard disk capacity is the more "densely" the information is stored on it, the more complicated it is and the more likely it is to fail (and when large disks fail lots of data may be lost).

In other words, if you actually *need* 4 Tb of data storage "right now", you may be OK with buying a 4 TB disk, but if right now you only have 1 TB data, you'd better buy a 1 TB disk and when you will exceed its capacity then buy another one, this other drive will cost you less, will be newer, possibly also a tadbit faster.

Nowadays with USB 3 connectivity, having one or more external disks for data storage has become practically undistinguishable from having internal directly connected disks, and they are very handy if you need to transfer big amounts of data to other systems.

jaclaz

• Like 1