Windows Defender manual update in 2017

Commodore

Last week i did a fresh installation of windows defender on a vanilla Windows 2000 SP4, so, i tried to update the software.
As expected, no results by the autoupdate, then i am trying to update it manually.

The web archive provides a conspicuous set of old mpas-fe. The oldest version works fine (defender directly updated). 
With the later release, i can still update defender. I unpacked mpas-fe, stop the service and copy manually the files mpasbase.vdm, mpasdlta.vdm and mpengine.dll into the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.NT\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Default.
Well, when i restart the service and launch Defender, it starts and recognizes the new version so installed. This, until the archived definition update 1.199.1500.0 (june 2015). 
But from the next available update, included the current mpas-fe, after the manual copy, the service doesn't run anymore.

Maybe somebody can confirm me this failure from late 2015 depends on the end of the defender support for XP. 
Otherwise, please, if somebody still updates defender, the question is clear... how do you update it today?
Thanks for the replies and ideas

Edited by Commodore
Added link for web.archive