InstallShield

I'm installing half a dozen or more apps that use the Intallshield installer. I get an error msg that I don't have permission to write ikernel.exe to a folder on the last app that I'm trying to install.

I've checked the Intstallshield web site and there is something up there about the various versions. The app that is giving me problems is using Installshield 6.31. There are some apps before this one that use version 6.22. I am logged on as a user with admin rights, and if I install this app separately, in an unattended manner, it works fine. The problem only occurs when I install it unattended along with a bunch of other apps.

Anyone have any experience with or a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

i know of your problem.

here is your solution from Installshield plus some follow up info. Replace your old ikernel with the new one.

If the problem persists, get a eval copy of vbuild 2.1 and let it rebuild that installation so it uses dBender instead.

vbuild is great for Installshield v5 and above installs as it makes smaller and more compatible install packages. It also extracts all files with folder destinations so you can easily track the locations of EVERY file a program will install.

Hi,

The problem only occurs when I install it unattended along with a bunch of other apps.

Could it be, that the Application which will be installed before isn´t finished, so that your "Problem" Application couldn´t write ikernel.exe.

I would try to use sleep.exe to retard the installation of your "Problem" Application.

Good Luck

Thanks much for the help!! My install now works.

The iKernel updater did the trick. I ran it before any of the InstallShield apps install, and then they all install fine.

The task manager shows iKernel NEVER releases until after the restart...even the updated iKernel.exe file. There's also a file named knlwrap.exe that stays loaded during the entire install process. I suspect this is also part of the InstallShield stuff.

I'm wondering if I run taskkill before I install each app, instead of updating iKernel, if that would also do it. When I get a chance, I'll test that and let you know.

Again, thanks for the help.

Frank

Edit: Using Taskkill to terminate iKernel.exe and knlware.exe works great!!