Add user and auto logon gone wrong?

Hello all.

I used my unattended cd last night to set up a computer for my brother. My cd has the add user and auto logon. Today i making the finishing touches to his pc and decided to change the default name to his name, add another user and i also removed any passwords. Well, after a reset windows logon screen poped up with an error telling me that the password is wrong, blah blah blah. It went away after a second and the logon never went anywhere, just stayed at "loading personal settings". I thought i could fix this by booting into safe mode (as the admin) and removing that particular user, but that didnt work either, the same error happens. Whats going on, how do i fix this?

Either do as you have done and log on as Admin in safe mode and change the username and password here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
or if you know the password boot up normally and use the shift key to bypass autologon when the Windows screen shows, you can then enter the correct password, then change the autologon information.

You could also modify your autologon.reg file or whatever you named it with the correct username and password and import it into the registry replacing the duff info.

You could also modify your autologon.reg file or whatever you named it with the correct username and password and import it into the registry replacing the duff info.

Good idea, i'll give that a try.

Well, that failed... but it did stop xp from hanging on the logon screen though. It went back to doing its autologon thing. So, i tried the registry where benners pointed me and removed the default user and also deleted the account. Now its back to "password is incorrect, blah blah blah". It was trying to autologon a default user that didnt exist! Anyway, i searched the registry and found the key to turn off autologon. Its all good now, working like it should.

I have a question though...

Why didnt autologon switch off for the default user, i thought it was set in the unattended cd to logon only once?