Hide Winxp cd-key..

Is there any way to hide the cd-key when you slipstream it in the Winxp installation.. I use a ghost of the disk with 3 partitions to multicast it into ten computers standing in a school classroom.

The problem is I dont whant the cd-key to be visible when the pupils press the "clean computer" shortcut..

Is there any way I could get around this problem?

Mvh Calle

you can only ENCRYPT the key. It works only on xp pro sp1 and server 2003. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328356. XP SP1 will not give any help, server 2003 will give full command support. XP SP1 supports the same commands as server 2003, it just doesn't advertise it. That's the only way to keep the key secure, any other method you can get the product key.

As the article points out, encrypt can only be used on volume license media. So it looks like you're out of luck. Microsoft only cares about the rich corporations, they don't care about the little guy with a 10 computer classroom. During setup anyone can press shift + f10, then type notepad c:\windows\system32\$winnt$.inf, to get the product key. The product key is only removed from $winnt$.inf when setup is done.

-gosh